Hello, folks. I have problem with my nose. It seems I have constantly have rhinitis and my nose is always fool. I really need decogestants to put in my nose, but I am not sure how much is too much of them. What can you tell me about this? They probably may hurt my nasal mucosa. Thank you in advance.

Hello. There are many over-the-counter (OTC) decongestants that can be bought. Pseudoephedrine and phenylephedrine are sold in form of pills. They work by decreasing a blood amount in nasal mucosa vessels. That is how the swelling of this mucosa reduces and the nostrils become air passable. Usually, doctors recommend them for 5 day use. If they are used more, they can really damage nasal mucosa. Pseudoephedrine can really cause heart palpitations and interfere with your sleep. It also raises blood pressure in some people. Check with your doctor for further details. Bye!