Hello! My sister has often had problems with her stuffed nose. Her doctor contributes that to her allergies. She uses nasal drops or spray to relieve the symptoms but sometimes she uses them for one week or even longer. I told her that she may even worsen her condition by using the nasal decongestants more then three to four days, but she doesn’t want to listen to me. What other effects besides decreased effectiveness could cause nasal decongestants after more days of use?

Hello! Nasal decongestants promote nasal drainage and relieve nasal stuffiness. It is used in relieving the symptoms connected to cold, allergies, hay fever and sinus infections. Sometimes they can be used to relieve plugged ears. It is very important to use them strictly as directed. Decongestants should not be taken more often than directed and the dose should not be increased. Therapy usually lasts for three to four days. Excessive use of this medication can actually increase nasal congestion.