Hello, folks. I know that people besides vitamins, need minerals as well. I would like to know something more about magnesium. How much of this mineral do adults need daily? I would really like to know something more about this. Thank you for answering my post. Your help will be appreciated.

Hi, there. Magnesium is very important element for proper cell functioning. Green vegetables are good sources of this element. Spinach is one of them. Males need more magnesium than women. Their daily need is 420 mg/day. For women this figure is 320 mg/day. Pregnant women have increased need for magnesium – 360 mg/day. In lactation this is 320 mg/day. For kids, these figures are different. I hope this helps.

Magnesium is very important for our body and some studies show that optimum daily intake should be 6mg per kilogram of your body mass. How much do you weight? There are some studies that show that daily intake should be from 270 to 400 mg per day. Are you already using magnesium supplements or you are planning to do so?
Have you considered to make changes in your diet to have higher amount of magnesium per day? There are a lot of vegetables like nuts, beans, peas, cereal grains that contain enough magnesium for daily intake. Many are rather changing diet than going for magnesium supplements.
If your body is lacking of magnesium you might feel it in your muscles.

If you are experiencing severe nighttime leg cramps and all other causes have been ruled out, how much Magnesium does an adult male need if his magnesium is low?

Magnesium is widely available in different foods – especially green vegetables, cereals, and fruits. The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of magnesium for young adults is around 400 mg/day for men and 310 mg/day for women. For adults over 30, the RDA is 420 mg/day for men and 320 mg/day for women.