Hi. My dog is having problems with his digestive system. I don’t know what to do with him. I tried giving him food that is easily digestible but it didn’t work. A friend of mine told me that her previous dog had the same problem and that the things got better when she started feeding him with raw food. So I did a little research and decided to put my dog on the BARF diet. There’s just one thing I don’t know. What do you think, how much food will he be needing daily if I start feeding him according to BARF?

It is recommended 60% RMBs and 40% veggies.

If I recall correctly, 60% to 75% can be RMBs and the rest is supposed to be a combination of vegetables, organs (such as liver, heart, kidney, green tripe and so on),  ground meat (for example lean beef, chicken or perhaps turkey), eggs and supplements.

Just keep in mind that you should start slowly by adding new raw foods every 7 days at least.

That way your dog will have enough time to get used to the new feeding way.

Consider this as a guide to help you get started. You don’t need to follow it strictly.

This is great post, Mia! 60 % - 40 % is the best. You should not be worried, with raw feeding there are no hard and there are no fast rules. If you are feeding your dog with raw food, you should know that growing puppies under 12 months of age need extra food. For dogs over 10 kilograms you should feed them with 2% of it body weight every day, including bones – except chicken bones. For 20 kilogram dog you should feed him daily with 400 g of raw food. You can put it in one meal, or you can put it in smaller meals. I hope that you understand what am I saying to you :)

Hey there. Now, I see that I don’t have an idea about this, because, to be honest, I was totally sure that you have to give it 50 % - 50 %. I mean, I don’t have a dog, and maybe that is the way why I don’t know exactly how much, but I do know that BARF diet promotes healthy lifestyle, raw diet program, so this diet program should contain a lot of meat and vegetables. Now, I am not so sure what about eggs, because I do know that some diet program promotes it, but now, as I said, I really don’t know much about it :)

Hello everyone. I am still learning a lot about this raw food, but just yesterday I was talking with my friend Thomas. He has a Golden Retriever for three and a half years, and since he got him, he is feeding him according to BARF diet system. I think that this depends, especially on your schedule and your dog as well. You can feed your dog in the morning, and in the afternoon, and in the feeding as well. Now, feed him whenever you have the time to let your dog spend up to 30 minutes eating its delicious meal or raw meaty bones. Many raw feeders will chose to feed their dog in the evening. So, I don’t know, I think that 40 – 60 % is correct, but still, it depends. 

Hi there.

You made the right decision when you started feeding your dog according to BARF diet rubylock.

I am also feeding my dog this way and she is much more cheerful and happy than she was when I fed her just with canned foods. Also, her health issues like hair loss, constant illness and problems with digestion totally disappeared.

One more thing, Mia and Dog Whisperer gave you great advices but remember that BARF diet is not strict at all. You don’t need to calculate how much food to give him for every meal all the time. The main thing about BARF is to make sure the food you are giving to your dog is fresh.

I am sorry but I can't give you the answer to your question. This is not something that you can determine and that will stand the same for every dog. 

The quantity depends on: the breed of your dog, is it small breed or large breed dog,

how many pounds are we talking about, is the dog physically active, does he go out a lot or he usually stays indoor etc. 

My dog weights 54 pounds and I’ve been told that the best amount for him is 1.60 pounds per day. And that is if I want to maintain his current weight.

Although I don’t feed my dogs according to BARF, (I prefer homemade raw food approach which is somewhat similar), I know several thing about this diet.

The best way of feeding the dog is to calculate his daily protein needs and give him enough raw meat, vegetables and supplements to match it. I know, easier said it then done, but you can do that quite easily by searching the tables made by experienced nutritionists and you just need to enter your dog’s weight and voila!

As for meat/veggie ratio, it is up to your dog. If he prefers meat better, put more meat and vice versa. Experiment a bit!