How does a flare-up present itself?
What would cause a flare-up?
What is the treatment for a flare-up?

I have primary Sjogren's syndrome and am 26 years old. For me, flare up occur in the form of my parotid gland (usuallly only one side) becoming very painful and swelling within a couple of days. I've noticed a pattern - the flare ups seem to occur within a couple of hours or the next day after a stressful event (e.g. too much work load, heated argument, etc). Unfortunately although it is triggered within minutes it seems, it lasts for about 2 weeks. The flare up is both extremely painful and causes furthur damage to the gland. I have been prescribed prednisone (cortico steroid) to manage the flare ups. It does seem to help but not always. I try to not take drugs as much as possible.

I also have sjogrens. I was finally diagnosed at the age of 24. My flare up's also present themselves with dry eyes (they get redder than blood shot eyes) & the parotid gland swelling up (3 years before I was finally diagnosed most doctors thought I was having a case of the mumps) with a high fever most of the time around 103 deg. and my body aches. Normally only one side of my face swells up but I have had both sides swell up. It normally flares up after a stressful situation, but also if I don't eat healthy or don't drink enough water. My rheumatologist had me keep a food journal and when I have several meals in a row where I've eaten lots of grains, fast food, etc. within 1-3 days I will have a flare up. I am prescribed prednisone to help the inflammation go down, and take IB profrin, and put a heated up rice pack on it. This is silly and not medical but I’ve found when I have a flare up if I don’t just sit around and rest but exercise lightly and stretch the flare ups go away quicker. I was told that the reason I have problems with my parotid gland swelling up is that since there is a decreased amount of saliva coming out of the parotid gland that bacteria finds its way up into the gland and causes an infection.

I've had that gland problem about twice a year for over 30 years! Never knew what it was until now. When it happens to me, I but anbesol (I never leave home with it) on it and it always seems to help. I was diagnosed with Sjorgren's about a year ago and never knew that this was a symptom until today. Thank you.

I have primary Sjogren's, diagnosed at age 38. Sun exposure (if I miss an area when applying sunscreen) almost immediately causes an allergic rash, and within a day or two the achy joints and fatigue hits. I've had one very severe flare-up that occurred after I treated a sinus infection (I'm bad about getting those) with an antibiotic. Joints weren't just achy, they were painful. The fatigue was bad enough that I needed a long nap each day for about 2 weeks. I haven't heard of antibiotics being a trigger, but has anyone else experienced this?

I have suffered what I think is a flare up of my Sjogrens once a week for the past 6 weeks. It occurs on a weekend, get shivers, so cold, headache, severe joint pain, nausea and vomitting, diarrhea, sweating, and increased urination. Fatigue is incredible, sleep for 24-48 hrs. No appetite but feel dehydrated and weak and want to drink fluids.i don't know if stress is causing this but it has happened every weekend for past 6-7 weeks except for the week I was away on vacation! Interesting huh? I forgot to mention I get sores all over my gums too. Any ideas? I take plaque nil for diagnosis of Sjogrens and also diagnosed with fibromyalgia

I'm 59 and suffered fot yrs. the fatigue is the worst and nothing makes it go away. For the severe joint pain, and I mean severe, I've been on prednisone 10 mg a day and plaquenil, but it's too early to tell if the plaquenil's working since it can take 4 to 6 months. With one dose of the prednisone the joint pain went away. Prednisone also stops the gland pain. As for all the other symptoms with Sjogren's, it's just a time thing. You have to just wait for it to go away. One time I was couch ridden for three weeks with fatigue. I used to get really sick like I was getting a virus with the G.I. problems and the nausea not been able to eat not been able to even stand up and make yourself something to eat, not being able to get washed or change out of your clothes for days. So it's a tough road to hoe believe me.

Do you mean the thyroid gland? Jean

Oh, goodness, this is me exactly. Prednisone was a miracle for the joint pain, right? I'm having first flare in a yr after starting Prednisone and Plaquenil. Just broke both legs, so that prob. has something to do with it. Microfracture rt femur, stress fx left tibia.

Yes! I just had a really bad ear and sinus infection, and had to have 3 courses of antibiotics to clear it up. I am now having some serious pressure under and behind the ears. My first Sjogren's flare was almost 30 years ago. I read that unlike Lupus, Sjogren's doesn't flare. I beg to differ.

Accidentally came across this site glad I did. My daughter's face auto immune illnesses & I discovered I too had sjogrens syndrome along with Renaud s syndrome several yrs ago. We've moved many times finally the last move to SD in 2014. Wasn't feeling chipper ever since moving from AZ to SD but couldn't endure the extreme heat in AZ with sjogrens syndrome. Three wks ago broke the ice my husband and I avid readers diagnosed what I was facing with my parotid gland looking like a chipmunk whose mouth is filled with nuts. Saw an Oncologist who confirmed I had a rare disease that comes with Sjogrens Syndrome only 200000 cases in the US called Non Hodgkins Lymphoma MALT. It affects all the lymph nodes in the body is determined with a CT scan with contrast or dye along with a core biopsy that removes tissue from the parotid gland. This cancer is slow moving but can be miserable for ppl with SS causing more fatigue pain & inflammation. By all means speak to your Dr who will refer you to as Oncologist that will give you an accurate diagnosis. Pass the word on to anybody you know who has Sjogrens Syndrome. My husband and I read too much & do as lot of surfing on the Internet. Oncologist was shocked when I saw him knowing I had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma MALT. Take care. Diane in Sioux Falls South Dakota.:)

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Yea i dont havevswollen glands or dry eyes. My mouth is dry vut ive always drank alot of fluids? I can sleep for weeks too..its no life. Extreme fatigue that no dr wants to help me with ! The Dr said TODAY that i have Sjonger's disease. But i dont get the rashes eithet. So .. I had been told lupus and RA w hypermobility. Now today irs something else. Its all auto immunne and its all related! Dr. Said of course i have fibromialgia but not to tell anyone or speak of this bcuz noone willl believe me! Wtf all i kno is it hits whn stress or weather changes seasons. It hurts so bad when it flares and i can barely move. I can no linger take care of myself whn i am flareing. It sux mental fog is terrible.

I think u need a new doctor

Wow. Your story is identical to mine, even the part about crushing fatigue & virus symptoms.
The first dose of prednisone, the horrible join paint disappeared, like a light was turned on in my life after 2 yrs. I read oatients' reviews of which meds worked best: plaquenil was good but prednisonevwas best. Told my doc, he prescribed both.
Stayed on meds for 1.5 yrs. Went off meds because I thought I was in remission.
That was 2 yrs ago. All I feel reguarly is parotid pain, but not to the point of being so severe. No more horrific pain, fatigue, virus-like sickness. Stress & illness bring on bouts of the old symptoms, but they're nothing compared to the initial & early stages of the disease outbreak. Your immune system is compromised, so you're more susceptible to colds & viruses with super amplified symptoms that last longer than other people's.
Remember - God is SO good! He is found of those who seek him.

I had and still have sinuses and ear problem that won't go away for 2 month. Was treated with 2! courses of strong antibiotics and 2! courses of steroids that didn't help and only made me sicker with staying home for the whole week, lost terrible amount of weight and then came down with stomach virus, that completely nocked me down!
Thanks to Sjogren's!