Hey i'm fourteen years old I'm athletic, and for the most part healthy, except for the fact that yesterday I had a full physical and learned that my urine has to much protein 100 to be exact! My family line has a hitsory of diabetes. My mom is worried that i also might have it. Can anyone help me out here? Thank you for your time if so! %-)

I'm assuming the protein test was the Protein/Creatinine Ratio (PCR). Indeed, a reading of 100 indicates Nephrotic syndrome (a nonspecific disorder in which the kidneys are damaged).

With your family history of diabetes, I would be concerned. The first thing I would do is repeat the test. Your doctor will then want to run a series of test to see if you are developing diabetes. These tests will include:

- A fasting plasma glucose test which measures your blood glucose after you have gone at least 8 hours without eating. This test is used to detect diabetes or pre-diabetes.

- An oral glucose tolerance test which measures your blood glucose after you have gone at least 8 hours without eating and 2 hours after you drink a glucose-containing beverage. This test can be used to diagnose diabetes or pre-diabetes.

- In a random plasma glucose test, your doctor checks your blood glucose without regard to when you ate your last meal. This test, along with an assessment of symptoms, is used to diagnose diabetes but not pre-diabetes.

Positive test results should be confirmed by repeating the fasting plasma glucose test or the oral glucose tolerance test on a different day.

The bottom line: Go see your doctor, NOW.