Hi, guys. A good friend of mine visited a doctor who suspected diabetes in her case. He is not sure, but he ordered her to do fasting plasma glucose test. I would like to know when this test is ordered. This piece of info will be more than welcomed. I would appreciate all your replies.

Hi, there. It is probably that your friend has some symptoms of diabetes. Does she have a weight problem? Perhaps she is thirsty or eats a lot. Fasting plasma glucose test shows blood glucose levels when a person hasn’t eaten for about 12 to 14 hours. In that way, if the plasma glucose levels are higher than 7 mmol/L, but less than 11, then we say a person has intolerance to glucose. If there is more than 11 mmol/L, then diabetes is suspected. In both cases, some additional tests are required. I hope your friend will have negative results. Good luck to her!