Hello, guys. I have recently done my blood tests and it appears that my glucose level is elevated. I haven’t got other symptoms, it was just a routine check. I would like to know what this could mean. I am little worried. It would be great if someone could answer me. Bye!

Hello, there. You haven’t mentioned the exact level of your blood sugar, but I will try to help. High levels of blood sugar usually indicate diabetes. However, it is not enough to diagnose diabetes just on one blood analysis. Go to your doctor and ask for oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT). There you will see whether you have normal glucose tolerance, impaired glucose tolerance (pre-diabetes) or diabetes. However, some other conditions can cause high glucose levels. Some of them are: acute stress (trauma, heart attack, etc.), acromegaly, chronic renal failure, Cushing syndrome, pancreatic disorders, hyperthyroidism and even excessive food intake. Drugs can also be the reason. Those are: corticosteroids, diuretics, tricyclic antidepressants, lithium, estrogen and other contraceptive pills, epinephrine, salicylates, etc. I hope I’ve helped.