Hello, folks. My mother was found increased blood glucose levels and she must go to further examinations in order to set a diagnosis of this disease. I would like to ask someone how this disease is diagnosed. Can anyone help me with this? I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance, guys.

Hi, there. For diagnosing diabetes mellitus, the most important thing is blood sugar level. If the fasting plasma glucose level is higher than 7 mmol/L, then a person can be considered to have this disease. Some experts think that this value is 6.5 mmol/L. Just to be sure, doctors run a test called Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. A patient is given sugar and after two hours his plasma glucose level is being determined. Of course, before this, his fasting glucose level must be known. If he has glucose between 7 and 11 mmol/L after the test, then he is considered to have impaired glucose tolerance. If this value is more than 11, then he has diabetes. I hope I’ve helped. Bye!