Is mystic tan safe for pregnant chicks? I'm as white as snow and in my 1st trimester.

Legend
Hi KitKat,

The Mystic Tan™ system does not expose you to any form of radiation so, from that aspect, it is safe. As I understand it, the system actually sprays a bronzing liquid on you. It is a sunless tanning solution similar to the sunless lotion sold in stores. If there are any safety concerns related to the solution, I would expect the salon to require you to read and sign a release. If they do have one, I would advise you to read it carefully to see if it has any statements related to this procedure while pregnant.

pseudonim

hmmm ..
I would recommend you to ask your OBGYN if it is safe for you to use self tanners.

According to their website it is absolutely safe to use while pregnant! It wouldn't hurt to run it by your doctor though.

I searched their website as well to ensure that the tanning session is absolutely safe and found that they recommend pregnant women to consult their doctor before proceeding to use the system. You can read about it on their FAQ page.

mystictan.com/experience/faq.asp.

In my opinion, since there hasn't been enough tests for the chemicals you inhale while in that lttle box in the tanning room and their adverse effects on the unborn child, I recommend using Jergens self tanning lotion instead. It works well. Not fake looking or anything, and is safe to use while pregnant. However, if you can hold off for one summer not having a tan, it would be probably for the best, it's not worth the gamble just to look tanned.

Hope this is a help.

I read as well that tanning is just as safe as being in the natural sun.
Now I can't speak for the Mystic Tan as I don't know if there is any chemical in that which can be harmful but I know they say the beds are safe.

I run a mobile spray tanning service and would advise pregnant women in the first trimester, and those breast feeding NOT to spray tan (by machine or professional personal application. The tanning solution is non-toxic, and DHA the active ingredient is FDA approved, however, it is irresponsible to take unnecessary risks.

I have answers to spray tanning FAQ on my site. Take it from the horses mouth, spray tan is safe, much safer than sunbeds or sun bathing, but not 1st 3 months or breastfeeding.

Regards

J Horvath, of Tropical Sunrise

Sally Hansen Airbrush sun is the safest way for a prenant girl.won't stain and can be sprayed on face even with your cloths on.Exfoliate before you use the airbrush body though.

Hey it think it would be fine to use it but i advice not to as if you are pregnant it may have a chance to harm the baby?

I just wanted to say that I did in fact spray tan during my last pregnancy. (the whole time) I felt great about the way I looked! My baby is 2 now and she has never been sick and is perfectly healthy. I am pregnant wih my second child and I am still airbrush tanning once a week!

Wow. You guys are going to hurt yourselves trying to come down on both sides of the fence at the same time. XD

The active ingredients in the spray tan solution has been tested used in various forms for years and has never had any negative side effects reported in connection with its use. It used to be used internally and you could actually drink several ounces (although I wouldn't recommend it) without any harmful effects. The reason for the precautions that you see people taking is that it is being used as an external cosmetic. The FDA has certain rules and regulations that have to be followed to comply with this use.

As for being "safer than radiation" I assume you are talking about tanning beds. You may want to take a look at some of the research coming out from some of the leading scientists in the country right now discussing the need for UV exposure (whether from the sun or from a tanning bed. I suggest a google search of the term "positive uv exposure." Also Harvard University's cancer center released a report not long ago that supports the idea that moderate UV exposure actually inhibits the growth of melanoma.

Bottom line is, don't believe everything you read. Find reputable sources and check it out for yourself.

Congratulations on being pregnant. Ask your doctor about Vitamin D deficiency in pregnant women. Get some "radiation" by getting out in the sun in moderation or by going to a tanning bed.

I am in my first trimester and used the mystic tan just today. After reading this site I am feeling very regretful about it, as well as disappointed in thesalon that let me go in (though the ultimate responsibility lies on my shoulders)! One of the sales girls told me mystic tanning is totally safe when you are pregnant. I should have thought more about the possible effects on my baby. I plan on waiting to use it again until after I have had my baby and am done breast feeding.

I am 6 weeks pregnant. I walked in to my tanning salon that I go to twice a week for a mistic. I was going to cancel my membership but the girl told me it was safe b/c there are no chemicals in it, only aloe. Now I know there is that DHA in it and am disappointed in the girl. She was like 17 so I still did not Mistic and told her I would research it before doing it. Sonds like the employees need to be a little more educated and should at least tell people to talk to their doctors first.

Sounds like we need to consult with our doctors and at least wait till after the first trimester.

To the girl who did it...don't worry your baby will be fine. I really dont think it penetrates...your baby will be just fine!

I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and I have just found out that there are complications with the fetus. This could possibly be linked to the fact I go spray tanning with Mystic Tan once every two weeks. I advise you to go without the tan at least for the first trimester while all the cells are still dividing!! I'm only 19, should be having a perfectly healthy baby!!
Good Luck!

are you seriously using the tanning bed while you are pregnant? Please don't tell any other women that it is alright to do that. Don't you know it can cook your insides. What ever tanning salon you use could be shut down and needs to be. They are not supposed to let pregnant women tan. Please don't keep doing this. Think about your innocent baby. As far as spray tanning, ask your doctor not just anyone.