Hey guys, I've been having this problem since the start of may, it's getting really annoying. I'm 22 y/o and pretty fit, before last may I ran 25 miles/week consistently, but a combination of weak bone structure, lack of leg muscularity, inherent overpronation, and improper shoes seem to have led me right into the problem. I stopped running about a couple of weeks when it started hurting, so it didn't get serious, but I did continue walking a lot and running about once every two weeks to test it out (which usually just agitated it more and more)

I finally got proper shoes for the overpronationa dn went to physio in about july --> acupuncture+ultrasound+take home exercises (still do them!) for about 6 sessions definitely reduced the inflammation, but they told me to start running again about a month into it, and I was able to quite comfortably for about a week, then it started wearing down again (at that point in time my insurance for the year had been worn out and as a working student I couldn't afford time nor money to go back :/)

so at that point, i just stopped running and started walking, but occasionally i'd try a light 30 minute jog, but the tendonitis would get agitated again. Last week I replaced my walk and took a light jog of about 45 minutes with no pain whatsoever, but a couple of days after I noticed acute (though light) pains on my left achilles when walking and light sensations on my right (right is better than left, but I can clearly tell they're both affected still)

Anyway, I'm 22, and I know it could be so much worse, but I REALLY hope my running days aren't behind me, and I really want to get back on the track again! At this point though I'm really jaded with the idea of any kind of treatment, as it seems like the problem doesn't disappear, but just seems to get better until I start running, when it starts wearing down again and I'm back to square one after a week. So I'm just wondering, what do you guys recommend?

-I'm thinking of starting weight training (leg presses, calf work, etc.) with my legs, haven't done this in few years, but its something new that might stimulate healing...or might make it much worse. I'm thinking light weights (but I usually have to lift VERY heavy to put on even small amounts of muscle mass, so that's not really in my favor)

-I can afford to go back to physiotherapy, should I? I don't wanna waste my insurance this early into the year, but I feel like I might as well

-No other options coming to me at the moment. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

can anyone help me out at all? or at least point me to an online community that might be able to help me? i've been looking around and I haven't found anyone who tells me anything different - I've checked out about 4 places around and outside of town and they all seem like underinformed massage parlors who keep pushing massage and ultrasound on me. I've already spent enough $ on those in the past and they did not help in the long run at all - and I'm not really getting any good recommendations from any friends/family physicians etc. The tendonitis is still present, but lately it's been scabbing after like a year (under the skin) so I'm guessing this is good news for me...but just in case it isn't, i'd love to find a source that can tell me what's the best step to take now =)

The achilles tendon has a very poor blood supply and can be resistant to healing because of this. There has, however, been a tremendous amount of good research on this problem in the last few years. Based on this research here is what we do in our clinic:
1. Immobilization in a walking boot x 3 weeks (you have to let the tendon rest for awhile or it will never heal)
2. Physical therapy to decrease inflammation. should include deep transverse massage. this is for the first 3 weeks
3. Night splint at night
4. After 3 weeks come out of boot and into stable shoes with custom orthotics and heel lifts.
5. Begin ECCENTRIC strengthening in PT. Eccentrics have been shown in numerous studies to be critical for healing of the achilles. If your PT is not familiar with this, find another PT.
6. I don't like to stop my running patients from running, but if you want the achilles to heal, you are going to have to stop for a couple months. If not allowed to heal, achilles tendonitis progresses to achilles tendinosis which is much more difficult to treat.

Finally, find a sports medicine minded podiatrist in your area to help you through this.

Good luck!