A little more than two months ago, I began having trouble with my achilles. I've been a runner for five years, and during that time, I've had the occasional ache, but at only 29 my pains usually subside within a few days. Not so was the case with my achilles.

The pain started nearly three months ago and I foolishly thought I'd 'run it off'. For about two weeks after the pain began I continued running, but on a lesser schedule. I saw my doctor (not a runner) and she told me to rest and to find alternative forms of excersise- which I did. I've been walking and doing step aerobics a few times a week in the hopes of maintaining decent muscle tone.

The nodule I'd developed behind my ankle has shrunk considerably, but still remains. I went out the other day for my first run in seven weeks. I came back with extremely sore quads (even after a fair amount of stretching) and the achilles started acting up again.
My question is this: How likely is it that this is a chronic condition? Like I said, I've been running 10-30 miles/week for the last five years with nary a problem prior to this bout of tendonitis. Should I go back and visit the doc again? My route involves hill running- and it always has. Should I now stick to a treadmill (yech!)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Yes, I'd get back to a doc. Get in touch with your local running club and get a recommendation who many of the runners see and is likely a runner themselves. If you have a nodule, you've still got some healing to do. Hilly running is going to aggrivate. And I kinda think step-aerobics wouldn't be the best either. Cycling, rowing, easy treadmill running, swimming, anything to take the pounding off the achillies is necessary until you're healed, nodule-free. It doesn't sound chronic at this point. 7 weeks off is considerable, but still, that's not a long time in the grand scheme of things. Maybe another month or two of cross-training and then eassse back into some miles. But also get a good doc to take a look at the nodule... <don't like nodules>

jrjo-

Thanks much for the advice! Yeah, come to think of it, I have a doctor's appointment later this week. I'll ask for a referral for a doctor who's as passionate about the sport as I am...

After seven weeks, I think I can hold out another month and a half. It's worth having my body completely healed before I un-do what my limited patience (with regard to running) will allow.