I finished the half marathon the other day with expected soreness. Now most of it has gone except for my left leg below the knee...and I would describe this as worse than just "soreness", I would say pain, especially when walking. I haven't even attempted to run on it since.

From my reading, I think achilles tendonitis might be the culprit. I'm giving it another night's rest and then I'm talking to the pros, but, I thought I remembered some of you dealing with this. Can you give me more insight?

Thanks.

I hope I'm wrong... :?

In the front or back of your leg?

Back. The worst pain is below or right at the bottom of the calf muscles, when I walk especially.

I've had achilles tendinitis and know several other runners that have. While it is possible to have a dull or sharp pain anywhere along the back of the leg, generally with tendonitis it is located close to the heal. After long races often your calf muscles are so tight and fatigued that it transfers too much stress on to the achilles tendon. Try taking ibuprofen and icing the area 15-20 minutes a few times a day and rest your legs a day or so to see if the inflammation subsides.
As always information presented here is no substitue for professional health care and you should see your health care professional if the symptoms persist!

Thanks! And yes, I know, if this keeps up this way I'm heading to the doctor. I mean, I have to, I can hardly walk...

Anyway, that helps, because maybe its not achilles, because its higher than that. HOPEFULLY its just a really sore muscle or a minor pull that will heal itself?
:shrug:

I'll keep you posted after another 24 hours of ice and advil....

That's my number one injury, Cheryl. Larry is right on. ICe that sucker down, take the pills..and DO NOT RUN for a while...even a week or two if that's what it takes.

Good luck and let us know what the doctor says, if you take that route.

I'd have to agree with Larry and Joel. I've had it also and if you follow everything they've said, you should be fine.
And remember-- do not run until the pain is gone!!
I learned this the hard way!

I have also had AT, and the only cure for me was REST.

The Ice and stuff might make you feel like you are doing something, in my opinion, but nothing like real rest, to get over it. I kept resting a week or two, starting again re-injuring it, the cycle kept repeating.

I had to take 6 straight weeks off, and then I was cured. Take at least a week off, and then go for a nice, easy run. See if you have any pain there later in the day or the next day. If not, you are probably ok. If you do, keep resting.

I've never had an official case of achilles tendonitis but after my very first 5K, my achilles hurt like mad! Take a few more days off and then see how it feels.

I'm right there with Coach....rest, rest, rest and do NOT run til the pain is completely gone. That tendon is relatively fragile and easy to injure further and recovery will be even longer. My dad ruptured his because he wouldn't stay off it and it's been over 5 months trying to get it to heal properly.

Can you swim? That would at least be a non-impact thing you could do, or do your upper body weight work sitting down, so you're not weight bearing.

The achilles tendon runs from the gastrocnemius muscle (the big calf muscle) all the way to the back side of the heel bone.
RICE it: Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation