Hi guys-

I've recently run (literally and figuratively) into what I believe to be a case of tendonitis. I'm confounded as to why this has happened. Here's my backstory:

I'm a 29-year-old female who runs about thirty miles a week. I'm five feet two inches and weigh about 110. I've been wearing the same shoes for my entire five years as a runner. I haven't increased my mileage in a while, nor have I introduced any more hills or other course changes into my routine. A few weeks ago, I was out running and noticed pain at the base of my right leg where the calf muscle meets the heel. An occassional pain will crop up from time to time, so I thought, 'I'll run it off'. The pain has continued for the past several weeks. It worsens after I've been sitting for long bouts of time and I've developed a slight bump directly above my heel. All signs seem to point to tendonitis, but why now? I just bought a new pait of sneaks last night, in the hope that I've been lacing defective shoes to my feet. If anyone has suffered similar pain, please write in with comments. Thanks much!

-achy in Massachusetts

You mean that you've been wearing the same model of shoes for 5 years right? Not the same pair of shoes... I hope.

HA!! Er, um....yeah. I've been wearing the same model for five years. I trade 'em after about 400 miles or so, as suggested by a running rag...