Hello all..........

I am 6 foot 4 and 300 lbs. I have been an athlete my entire life and I could run about a 6 1/2 minute mile when I was 25. Well, now I am 43 and need to get active and lose weight. Another reason why is I have an opportunity to become a law enforcement officer. Their entrance exam requires a 1.5 mile run in less than 14 minutes.
Currently, I have not been training in close to a year. The last time I tried to run, last year, I couldn't even complete 1 lap. The downside is, yes, I'm 300 lbs. The upside is I know how to pace myself, am very athletic and have ran well in the past.
I've got about 6 months to get ready for the test.
Any advice on how to start training, should I run/walk?
Help?

Im similar size.

Find yourself a couch to 5 K program.

I use one off the app store on my iphone but I see them for all the watches, and I suppose you could just time it yourself.

Dont worry about pace, just run for x min, then walk for x min as the program tells you to do.

I just finished the program and would recommend it. Had some pains, but nothing that I couldn't deal with.

Went from dying in 5 minutes 8 weeks ago to running 3 miles before dying :)

For only a 1.5 mile run, I could now meet the pace you referenced (working hard mind you).

I guess the first thing that you should do is to try and get yourself as active as possible without covering too much milage to begin with. if you try and do too much too quick then you may injury yourself.

I would start by doing lots of non impact stuff along with your couch to 5k program such as swimming and cycling as this will improve your aerobic capacity as well as helping you lose some weight.

Hope that helps!