Alright, I'm recovering from stress fractures and want to try doing the stationary bike thing.

I was told that 4 miles = 1 mile of running.

However, I was also told stationery bike mileage tends to be off. That being said, if I want to do 4 miles on a stationery bike, how long would I have to go for?

Let's assume that I can run a mile in about 10 minutes. Given that time, how long would I take to cycle a mile?

Also, how significant is the impact from cycling on one's legs?

Thanks a lot.

I do know that cycling is much easier on the legs than running. I suppose that 4 to 1 ratio is probably about right too.

Thanks.

But to clarify, generally how long does it take a novice to cycle one mile? How long would 4 take?

Thanks.

No telling. I'd consider myself a novice cyclist, and if I'm really pushing, it'd be about 3 minutes for a mile. An average cruising pace maybe 4 minutes for a mile. Others maybe 6 minutes for a mile.

I don't know the ratios but I've read an article about xtraining. I hurt
my calf as well running the chicago marathon (not the marathon, but
the few days afterwards I went all out to run too far too soon). check the
newest runners world magazine they have the ratio I believe. Let me know ifyou find out 4:1 sound about right,

Hmm, not really sure what you mean by 4:1. Do you mean in terms of calories burned? Average heartrate?

I've noticed that my average heartrate while biking is about 20bpm LOWER than while running. I also bike for about 2 hours vs. running for about 35-40 min. So maybe that's about right? 4:1?

But I cover about 23 miles biking, yet only 4 miles running. I'm averaging roughly 9-10 min/mile vs. 5-6min/mile biking. Hope that helps.

Oh, I'm not much of a runner nor a biker. Never biked while younger nor ran much at all. Just started about 6 months ago (1.5 months ago for biking).

:)

- Curtis

the general rule Ive always used when comparing cycling to running is 3:1 - 3 miles of cycling burns approx. the same number of calories as 1 mile of running at a similar intensity. if you run 6 min mile pace and cover 3 miles in 18 min, then that would be similar to biking 9 miles at 27 mph. pretty close i think.