Alright, I'm saying this publicly so I can't convince myself to quit. Beginning today, I'm going to try using my Heart Rate Monitor consistently during training. I'm basing my training on Parker's book, "Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat id**t." (the title was directed at me, after all)

Started off well, with a race, otherwise known as a hard day. I've made a few previous attempts at the easy, 70% days before and they are horribly slow, even by my standards. I'm trusting that I'll see the improvement the book promises.

Any advice? Comments? Barbs or nasty things to add?

As a regular HRM user too, I say keep up with it. HRM training teaches you to go slow when you have to go slow and go fast when you have to go fast. It may feel slow at first especially on those long runs but after a while you should notice big improvements (your HR will drop after training in your target range for a while) and you will have to go faster just to keep with your target HR. HRM training has proven really effective (at least for me). My long runs felt alot easier after training with the HRM and I recover faster. I have also noticed substantial improvements in my pace after a few weeks of usage (I was amazed). Like you, I felt the same way on the first few tries but just hang on and be patient...you will see results.

Btw did you figure out your target HR for each training intensity right? I didnt realize you have to take your resting HR into account (rather than just simply multiplying the percentages by your max HR) as well until quite recently.

Thanks Tim! I appreciate the encouragement and comments. I did figure that out, thanks to the book I read. Today was terribly slow, which I expected. I'm glad to hear it's worked well for you!!!

Try it, it does work. I used the off and on day thing when I was doing my Tri training. Using the watch I believe is the most objective measure. It can get frustrating especially when you feel like going faster but believe me it does help.

I have the same book and I tried it for a while after I'd only been running for a few months. If I recall correctly, I had to go 1.5 to 2 mins. slower than my regular pace. 8O It felt really strange to have to go that slowly and I only had X amount of time to run each day so my mileage dropped off. I ended up ditching the program after about a month without seeing any improvement (that I can recall).

I do use my HRM when I do long rides on the trainer though.

FYI - I did a little test for you yesterday. My treadmill has a setting for HRM running. You just punch in your desired HR and it will adjust the speed accordingly.

Normally my easy runs are at 8:00 min./mi. when I'm running without the HRM. I set the treadmill to 70% of my max HR and started it up. I was surprised to see that it usually stayed right around the 8:00 min./mi. pace. Sometimes it went a little faster (but not much) and sometimes it would drop down as far as 8:30 min./mi.

Thanks PH! What a cool feature to have on your treadmill. Just so you know, at an 8 min. mile, I'd need medical assistance after about 2 miles.

So Katt...how is the HR training going? I have had the same problem in the past but you have inspired me to try and endure the slow pace on recovery days. I've never given it a chance to work in the past but I'm committed to following through this time. :D

It's going slow! :D Today I was able to run 2 miles before my HRM chirped at me. My time was slow, but definitely better than the past several days. (I suspect it's due to our lovely weather here. Aren't you loving our cold spell) I'm committed to giving it a month. I do notice how much better I feel after my runs, like I've barely done any work. (and I haven't)
Join me, we'll run slow together!

I feel your pain...I did 4 miles today at a painfully slow pace. The positive aspect is I am really looking forward to my hard workout tomorrow. And no, I am not enjoying the cold! I had to go to Oshman's yesterday for cold weather stuff.

This may be working. The jury is still out, but leaning towards a decision. I ran a tempo run on Thursday, and poked along at 70% for the first mile. I had trouble reaching 85% for the tempo portion, then my 70% cool down seemed fast. Friday was an easy run, and I ran my normal pace at about 65% HR. No walking, no shuffling, and it seemed easy. I thought my watch was broke.

I just ordered the same thing. Gawd i hope i don't have to slow down on my skates. it should be coming via mail this week.

He has a few brief chapters for other sports. I didn't pay much attention to them since they didn't concern me at the time. :D I hope you like it. So far, it was worth a few weeks of slowness. We'll see come race time.

I've been using my HRM & "The Book" for about a year & half. At first 65-70% was horribly slow but within 30-45 days progress was made.

I love it when I'm doing a race. I set a target heart rate for the distance and have continuous feedback on how I'm doing. Use it on the bike too!

:twocents: