Hi I've recently taken up running (1 month) and I dont seem to be making as much progress as I'd hoped. First time out it took 13 minutes to run a mile. Now I can run a mile in 9.40 which has been my best time. 1.5 miles is taking 14.30 and I thought I would be getting faster and able to cover more distance by now. Am I being unrealistic or does it just take longer when I'm 46. Trying to get to 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes. any tips like how often I should go running ect . Ta

You are making good progress. Going from 13 to 9.4 min is great. How ofter are you running?

Keep up the regular training and I have no doubt that you will continue making improvements. The trick is not to push yourself too hard too quickly otherwise you will only become frustrated and may even pick up an injury. In time the fitness will come and your times will improve.

.........
Running Blog

I'd rather stick to heart rate or inner feeling than pace. Obviously your progress is good but you don't want to train intensely if your aerobic base is weak. Body gets mixed signals and intense training might lead you to overstrain. I use sportlyzer for training planning and my speed keeps developing.