a) define "in shape"

b) are you "in shape"

a) define "in shape" b) are you "in shape"
1. In shape: Not having this spare tire around my middle 2. Am I? See #1

In shape: Able to do over 1 hour of strenous exercise (Run, Bike, Stepper etc) without too much trouble. Obviously able to double that level of exercise with some training.

Am I in shape ? Yes !! I think I'm in GREAT shape compared to most of my contemporaries.

So, by your definition, Kate Moss is in great shape?

1) Being able to go up and down the stairs without coughing out a third lung or ask the janitor to move one small box down the hall.

2) I'm in shape, but could be in better shape. This will all change for me this summer.

Umm...good point. ;) I doubt Kate Moss is in even "good" shape. I was probably in better shape than her prior to having my baby even though I am overweight.
Seriously, though, I think being "in shape" has everything to do with your cardiovascular health rather than the way you look on the outside.

So if you could run a 20 min 5K, but couldn't do 2 pushups, you'd still consider that in shape?

I think being "in shape" is different for everyone. Lowest level of being in shape, imo, is maintaining a normal weight and a decent level of CV fitness (i.e. you aren't completly gassed climbing two sets of stairs). My idea of being in shape is being able to score well on a Marine physical fitness test or something similar. Cardio fitness in addition to strength adds up to being in shape. What good is being able to run up a couple flights of stairs if you aren't strong enough to carry a couple bags of groceries while doing it?

I feel I'm in shape although I could be in better running shape.

Nope. You would be in CV shape and yours legs are strong and healthy but you're still forgetting the upper half of your body.

1) I agree with Rob. It's kind of like your "have you arrived" question - it's in the eye of the beholder.

2) Compared to those in my age group, better than most, but not as good as others - about 2:1 ratio. :shrug:

My definition of being in shape is being able to maintain a training heart rate for at least 20 minutes and having decent muscle tone, flexibility, ROM, and strength.

Yes, I am in shape.

I agree with ya Rob!!

:1:
By my standards I'm way out of shape, although I seen a Dr. the other day that said I was in great shape.

:1: being "in shape" is kind of a well-rounded proposal.
am i in shape?
well, i had a very thorough cardio evaluation last year, looking inside my heart, stress tests, dye tests, two days worth of heart stuff and was told i have the heart of a 15 year old that would be beating long after i'm a goner! that was very reassuring but i still have very poor upper body strength, core sucks and my 5K time is 3 minutes off where it was last year at this time, so i feel like a slacker.
i can say i am in better shape than most of the women my age so, relatively speaking, yes i am in good shape.
i'd love to be in better shape. again, in terms of "fitness" i don't think anyone is ever where they want to be, including lance

define "in shape" Healthy enough for sexual activity* are you "in shape" Yes *as defined by my cardiologist