Hi everyone,

My sister has actually been diagnosed with depression. I can't stand this anymore, she went completely nuts. I mean, she was such a happy girl, I never imagined that she could end up with depression and I really can't stand this, I can't stand it because of her own good and because of mine.

I want to help her, I heard somewhere that some Vitamins and supplements can help treat someone's depression. Is that true? If you guys think that this is true, please help me out here and tell me if you know about the best Vitamins and supplements for this matter.

Hi Katty&Lizzy,

You are right, there are some Vitamins and supplements which can help.

One of the most touted herbs used for enhancing mood is St. John’s wort, a yellow-flowered plant containing many chemical compounds that may have medicinal effects.

SAMe (S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine), derived from an amino acid and also available from protein food sources, is another widely studied mood-enhancing substance that’s commonly used in Europe.

Omega-3 fatty acids are found in cold-water fish and certain vegetable oils, and available as a supplement, omega-3 fatty acids are sometimes used to help depression and other psychological problems. Studies recommend a dose of 2,000 to 4,000 milligrams or more when taken for mood problems.

Hey Katty and Lizzy,

Here, in the country where I live, doctors are prescribing medical cannabis for people suffering from depression in order to make them calm. It works quite good actually since I know that my friend got better but only while using it so it isn't really long term, but it helps. However, this isn't legalized everywhere so I can't really say if this is an option in your country.

I don't know much about vitamins and supplements to treat depression, although I heard as well that fish is very good, not just for this, but for a lot of other stuff as well.

Traditional depression treatment uses a combination of prescription medicines and counseling or therapy. Antidepressant medicines can help resolve underlying physical problems, such as a chemical imbalance. Counseling can help you address issues and situations that might be contributing to depression, such as life changes.

Though traditional treatments can be effective, you may also be interested in alternative options. Natural remedies for depression are the focus of ongoing research. Researchers have studied numerous herbs, supplements, and vitamins to determine if they can benefit people with depression. The results are mixed. Some alternative treatments hold a lot of promise. However, not every alternative treatment passes the rigorous tests of clinical trials. For that reason, many medical professionals may hesitate in their recommendation or support for these treatments.

katty&lizzy hi theres no supplements that can treat depression effectively by trying supplements you would be delaying her the right and effective treatments . today modern medicine has come a long way. theres good medication now with less side effect than theres ever been you may want to talk with your primary md first he or she might want to do some labs to see if there is no underlying factors.then there might be a referal to see a phyc.if she is as bad as you say seek treatment soon i hope this helps .......good luck and god bless

Good day. Thanks God that there are vitamins and supplements that can help threat depression. Personally I use Omega - 3 fatty acids and I consider that this is something the best that I have used ever. If I had to choose between some supplements, I should always take omega 3 fatty acids capsules. Maybe probiotics but fatty acids are my favorite. If you decide to use them, don't skip the dose, use it constant. My doctor also approved it for me and I find them really helpful and trust me, there is nothing else that I would use. Good luck. 

Hey there. I agree with you mrs Sick and Tired, omega 3 fatty acids are really amazing to deal with stress and depression but I still don't believe that they are the best that this market can offer to us. Personally, I like to use vitamin D. I was reading a lot about it and I remember that one day I found some article where it says that there are some kinds of the depression and what are the most effective ways to heal it. Well, deficiency in vitamin D will feel very much like depression, so lots of studies have shown that people should use vitamin D to avoid depression. I have decided to try it because I am pretty sure that you can never go wrong with vitamin D, right? That is my choice.

Hello there. Thank you so much for your advice! I didn't know that vitamin D can be that helpful as well. I have heard all good things about vitamin E, but never have heard that deficiency of vitamin D can cause depression. That is a new thing for me. So I guess that I should try use it as well. I told you already that I have tried to use probiotics but they were not that helpful for me. I am not saying that my omega - 3 fatty acids are not good, but I think that it is worth of trying something else, right? Thank you.

Hello.

I am using vitamins and supplements as well to treat depression. I can't say that it was really helpful to me because even if I am using it I am having some depression moments, but it sure can help me. I love to use calcium, even if I don't know that calcium doesn't reduce depression itself but for example if you eliminate dairy from your diet, that can reduce depression for sure. Especially it is helpful if you have certain intolerance that can cause inflammation in the brain. I like to use calcium supplements because it also help me being less stressed and less depressed.