Hey guys,

My boyfriend is suffering from depression. I know how to handle him, I know he loves me because I am by his side and I know that he is somehow emotionally numb but it doesn't matter, he is the right one for me and I will do whatever it takes to help him. I met him like this, he had no trouble admitting to me that he is suffering from depression, it is one of the reasons why I respect him this much.

But I am worrying about the future, can anyone tell me what are the effects of long term depression and if there is a way to prevent them?

Long term depression,  depending on how severe, can  if not treated, possibly lead to lack of motivation to do much.  It Major depression can lead to either extreme weight gain or weight loss.  Most crucial it can lead to suicide.  Fortunately there are therapies, meds.  If you feel suicidal contact your doctor asap.

Mugwort is right, the worst outcome of a long term depression is suicide. There have been a lot of reported cases of a suicide that occurred because of their long term depression.

Lack of motivation, definitely. People suffering from depression tend to lose their motivation and then they don't want to do anything. They could spend days and weeks lying in their beds or simply just staying inside the house. They tend to think that life is pointless, therefore, that everything you do in life is pointless so why do it then, they would rather just stay inside the house and do nothing.

I sure hope that he won't commit suicide. I mean, he never shows any signs of that and he never talks about it, I mean, why would he even think about it, since he has me by his side and I am so pretty and smart and stuff.

He already lost his motivation to do anything, I hope that he is going to get it back once he gets out of this depression thing. He already told me once how everything is pointless but he also told me that he wants us to get married one day and raise our kids.

When you put it like that, I kind of feel that the only thing, the only person that makes him want to try harder and that makes him go forward is actually you. I think you mean more to him than you will ever know.

If this is true, if I am right, he will probably never do anything like committing suicide because he wouldn't want to do that to you, you know. On the other hand, his life might get a purpose with you, like he said, getting married with you and having kids with you, it might make him get better easily.

Good day there.

First, the most important thing for you to know is that depression is a really bad mood disorder that can affect the way you think, feel, and behave, even the way you walk. It  also causes feelings of sadness or hopelessness and this can last for days and even for months. 

The worse effect if you ask me is the effect on your brain. That is why you will read almost everywhere that this requires a really quick treatment and that you just can't leave it untreated. Also, it can lead to bipolar disorder as well.

Treat it!

Hi there. My boyfriend is dealing with bipolar disorder and that is because he didn't do anything to treat himself or to try prevent it. It affects your brain and trust me, I was not able to fight but just struggle with my boyfriend when he was dealing with this. There are a couple of ways to prevent it, but one is the most important in my opinion - react on time! When you notice that you are dealing with something like that, that your behavior is not the same anymore, seek for the help instantly! You don't want depression to damage your brain, right?

I am really sorry for all of those experiences that you were dealing with in those situations. The main problem is that a lot of people doesn't understand how difficult this condition can be. They believe that depression will just go away. But it wont. 

Sure, there are a couple of things that you can do to prevent it. I cannot give you an advice which one is the best in your case, but I do know that you should talk to your doctor.

If you don't react on time, really bad things can happen to you.

It leads to the brain damage and brain damage can easily lead to suicide.