I have sister who has been diagnosed with mastitis few days ago. First, she has noticed there is something wrong with her breasts. When she could not stand that pain any more she went to her doctor. He diagnosed her, but did not give her any medicine to cure it. Can you tell us more about mastitis, and how she should treat this condition?

Mastitis means that the breast is inflamed, and there is swelling, redness, tenderness and pain, as your sister probably noticed. There may be an infection, so it is wise to consult a doctor to determine whether an antibiotic is necessary or not. A breast infection can become a breast abscess that requires surgical draining, but this can usually be prevented by treating it promptly. Problems with recurrent mastitis are usually the result of irregular breastfeeding patterns. This means missing feedings, giving bottles in place of breast-feedings, or skipping pumping sessions when separated from the baby. Recurrent mastitis may also mean that mother's immune system is generally run down, because of fatigue and stress that could happen during that time. Mastitis is a sign that woman needs to take a closer look at her lifestyle and breastfeeding relationship. Treating mastitis is much like treating engorgement only more urgent, so the most important is to have much rest. Mastitis is an illness, so she should take a medical leave from all responsibilities other than breast-feeding her baby to bed with her and nurse. Treatment of mastitis could be and alternate warm and cold compresses on woman’s breasts.

i am having a really hard time finding a dr. in my area that will help me fix this problem ...please HELP!!!!!

my wife has a worry,when she squeezes her nipples they is a creamy liquid comes out.
can you explain what this is and is it dangerous,and what treatment is there.its been 25 years since our last child was born so this is a worry.thanks.

Your wife needs to see a surgeon. I had this for 3 years and every dr I went to said it was nothing. Nothing showed up on a mamogram. After a lump was found in my other breast I saw a surgeon who was most concerned with fluid coming from my other breast. I had a double lumpectomy and the breast that had fluid leaking had stage 0 cancer.

I had the same problem. My youngest is now 9 years old and I was still producing creamy fluid from both breasts. My periods had also stopped and started sometimes for months on end. After seeing the Dr I had some blood tests which showed a high level of prolactin. Having a scan on my pituitary gland it seemed it was overactive so I now take medication to reduce the levels.
All seems to have settled down