Approximately 1 year ago I went to my Internal Medicine Doctor with my nipples cracked and bleeding and my breast were hot red and very itchy. There is no pain, but every now and then a throbbing will be present along with leakage from my nipple mainly on the left side. She also did a biopsy and it came back contact dematitis. The cream she gave me would/will make the craking better for about a day and then it occurs again. I also in the mean time of this developed a lump at the 3:00 position of my left breast and they did a punch biopsy and it was undetermined through the laboratory. I went back to my doctor this morning and my breast are not any better and this has been going on for over a year. They itch, crack, bleed and leak and sometimes they will be better for a few days then they get worse again, and of course the more they itch the more raw they become. He made me an appointment with a surgeon for Monday. I am very worried because I am scared I have let this go so long now it may be something horribly wrong. Can you please give me some advice?

Now, I have began to get a little more worried... no on has made any comment to my post which makes me think either I/this condition is very strange or someone has had it and wont comment.... :(

Hi! Did anything happen before you started experiencing these problems? Were you breastfeeding?
Two years ago I had my nipple pierced. Everything was ok for the first 8 months-I was told it takes that long to heal. I had little drainage (usually after bath) and it would hurt from time to time-throbbing like you said but I had the same feeling when I pierced my eyebrow, so I thought that was fine.

However, some time after the pain became stronger, my breast got swollen and red, the nipple cracked and I panicked. Additionally, a lump developed inside my breast.
My doctor found out I had mastitis, it is some sort of an bacterial infection. Apparently I wasn’t cleaning it well although I did-every day. It seems that my nipple was cracked due to piercing and the bacteria managed to get in.

I don’t know if what you have is the same condition although some of the symptoms are the same.
Do you think there was something that could have provoked your condition?

Thank you so much for responding.... I have actually been treated for Mastitis before after my Internal Medicine Doctor saw me again after the Dermatologist and I have taken two different courses of Antibiotics orally and topically. I have not breast feed in a long time... my youngest daughter is 11.... After the test I have had done they have always assured me it was nothing and that it would be taken care of by the meds. or it would take care of itself and here I am a year later with the same problem. Not to be graphic, but like yesterday when I got home from work my bra on the left side was stuck to my breast from the leaking through out the day which I do not feel often unless I don't wear a bra at all. The right breast was draining as well, but because it was broken open due to my itching the night before in my sleep I am sure which of course there comes some pain. Also, other than when I Itch them or the nipples crack open besides the throbbing every now and then there is no pain. Again, thank you for responding... I am open to any suggestions or solutions to my problem.

Health Advisor
Hi! What kind of tests did you have? Has this discharge of yours been examined?

Are you maybe taking some sort of medicines or birth control pills? I read that bc pills and some tranquilizers as well as hypertension drugs increase levels of prolactin that contributes to the milky leakage.

Have you seen a breast surgeon? I know that the leakage could arise from the breast duct problems. Have you been checked for Paget’s disease?

Thank you for replying.... I actually see a surgeon today... I had a hysterectomy when I was 27 and I am now 38 so I don't take birth control pills nor any other medicines daily.... A year ago when all this first started my breast would leak and crack so bad I had to wear bandages on my nipples to keep them from sticking to my bra and my Internal Medicine Doctor told me it looked like padgets disease, but when I went to the dermatologist it came back as the contact dermatitis. I have worried for months that I do have padgets disease and they have missed it. I have taken a topical cream on and off as I stated before which helps for a short while and I am wondering if that has just covered up the real problem. Also, I have noticed that the tops of my breast are always red and they swell every now and then but they do not get hot nor do they hurt. My husband says I scratch (dig) all through the night at my breast and he always is telling me to stop. I will hopefully find out something today or the next couple of days.... It just worries me and I have not found or no one has responded that has had this and especially these symptoms for this long.... Again, thanks for responding to me.... :)

Health Advisor
Hello again! Did you get the results from the surgeon you saw?
Did you know that Padgets disease usually strikes one breast at the time?

The reason I am writing to you is that I have been reading lately a correspondence from a couple of dermatologists who had patients who suffered similar problems to your-who responded to antibiotics or topical creams poorly or only for a short periods of time, but had constant leakage and swelling from their breasts yet the tests gave them no results.

Most of them were so puzzled on what to do. That is why I was wondering if your surgeon managed to find anything?
I hope you will manage to end your troubles soon!

I have had one breast biopsied again on Monday by the surgeon and he wanted me to come back this following Monday to do the other one because he said he could only do one at a time.... I have not heard anything from the results which actually makes me feel like he doesnt know what it is or its coming back some type of dermatitis again....In your reply you said you had spoken to Dermatologist that had patients like this... Did those patients end up having pagets disease?? My internal medicine doctor still says that is what it is.... I know my body and I know something is not right. Not to mention if it was dermatitis it would come and go or it would eventually go away in a years time.... I am not going to let them put me off this time.... I am going to push until I find out what is going on. Please give me any advice or let me know what you have found out.... Thanks :)

I just heard from my biopsy and it came back this time as Chronic Inflamation of the breast. The doctor will talk to me on Monday when I go back to have the biopsy done of the other breast. Of course this stuff all makes things worse for a Friday morning because now it makes me wonder about Pagets Disease even more and I get on the internet which also makes things worse often times.... So I guess once again I have to sit and wait until I talk to my surgeon and have my other biopsy on Monday. :(

Health Advisor
I haven’t spoken to a dermatologist, I have been reading a report about women with similar problems where their doctors were so confused because their couldn’t find solutions to their problems. What I was trying to tell you was that none of these patients were found to have paget’s disease. This disease was ruled out in each case.

That is comforting, isn’t it? Still, I know how you must feel not knowing what’s going on. As I said, Paget’s disease usually affects just one breast at the time and you do have problems with both of them.

Anyway, about this chronic inflammation of the breast…did they tell you what exactly it means or you are about to find about it on Monday as well?

I am also, just like Lori, diagnosed with mastitis and all of these things sound similar, so I am interested in finding out more about the existing problems and possible complications.

That is why I would love to hear from you again to hear about this chronic inflammation and if I ran into some more useful info about the topic-will let you know!

Take care
Heidi

I have been going thru my problem too for over a year. I have had nipple discharge for quite some time over years. Last March a lump appeared just below my nipple. Mammogram and ultrasound showed a mass that needed to be biopsied. My sister was being treated for breast cancer at the University of Michigan and her surgeon agreed to see me. He did a biopsy in May of 2005 and it came back as an abcsess. Then a month later the incision opened back up again and I was on antibiotics almost all of last summer. Finally in Jan. of this year I had another biopsy it came back and abcsess again. They cultured it and I had some strange bacteria called prevatolla. The same as flesh eating or that causes bed sores. Here I am now in March 1 year later and the incision is open again and puss is coming out. So I feel your frustration and fears. Ask if it could be an abcsess that is your best case scenario. Worst case is Padgets disease a very rare form of Breast cancer. But the symptoms you describe sound just like me. Just make sure you get a good surgeon and don't be afraid to ask questions.

MK

I have the same symptoms as you but only have had them for 4 months now. Right nipple wants to heal but when I shower the skin just peels away. Mammogram and ultrasound came up negative.

Seeing surgeon in April to get a biopsy of the nipple area. Yes, checking for Padgets disease. Padgets disease is not the cancer they are abnormal cells that are found to be associated with cancer. I am in my late 40's and going through menopause as well.

In Oct/Nov 2005 I had a Mirina IUD inserted to receive progesterone in small doses. The IUD remains inserted in the Cervix for 5 yrs while one is going through menopause. The progesterone keeps the uteris walls from becoming to thick which causes heavy bleeding. My point is, I read an article on a medical website that said to much progesterone in one's system could contribute to the cause of cancer. I've talked to my OBGYN Dr. and she assures me that taking the Mirina IUD out should be the last resort. Funny thing is this Dr. had breast cancer and had her Mirina IUD taken out. I will be discussing my Mirina IUD with the surgeon before I get the biopsy. Susan

I have the same symptoms and I am on my 6th month of antibiotics. Did anyone get a diagnosis? My doctor and surgeon are very puzzled. I have not had the lump cut out yet because they can't find out if the tissue is infected or not. The antibiotics make the abcess site better but it never completely goes away in the 10 days I take the antibiotics and it gets bigger if I go off antibiotics. All the tests came back negative for infection, cancer, etc.

both my breast itches too, they itch on and off and sometimes i itch them too much and leave lil scares..i wanna know if this is something serious too. I just had baby 3 mths. ago. I notice it started when I found out I was pregnant. But I wonder to if it could be padgets disease. I am only 26 years old. I sometimes get some acne or pimple like bump sometimes, but i always thought they would do now harm..should i check into this? Or am i still suffering from my breast expansion from me getting lactaid fluid? please somebody help too? I wanna know, this is not normal for me as well.

t.n.

Hi all
I do to have this problem with my right breast. I am 7 months pregnant now and had this infection for 4 months. I have been to my OB/GYN 3 times and a breast specialist as well. Sad to say that they all said they dont know what it is. The specialist did an ultra sound on my breast but nothing came back. She didnt know ether. I have been I antibiotics and creams nothing works. The cream makes it better for a day then the symptons come back. I am really tired of this. I have been to the ER for it and was diagnosed with Mastitis and again antibiotics that dont work. If any body has any information on this please let me know.

Thank You