I have always thought about breastfeeding as the most natural, normal thing in the world and for me it is very much something that you just do. It does seem that we are overwhelmed with information about "learning how to breastfeed" and overcoming problems in breastfeeding. Is it really possible that a new mom needs to learn how to breastfeed? Whatever happened to "put the baby to your breast and everything else will just happen"?

I agree that breastfeeding is the most natural act possible. However, as with many other completely natural acts, it can happen that we humans need a little help sometimes. Sometimes it can be difficult for the baby to latch properly, especially after a c-section or medicalized birth, and sometimes there are problems on the mom's side, like mastitis or blocked ducks. Well, in those cases I think women can be grateful that there is so much more information and support around now, than when our moms were new moms. I think American culture is getting more and more breastfeeding friendly!

It would have been nice if my wife had had a little help when our son was born. He was 5 weeks early and her milk wasn't ready but she did try to breastfeed. She quit because she didn't think he was getting enough milk. I didn't agree, but they WERE her boobs and besides, a husbands opinion never counts anyway.

Last week, 44 years later, she saw something on TV that said you have to keep nursing and the milk will increase. She remarked that she wished she had known that when she was trying to breastfeed. ----- I was smart enough to keep my mouth shut, so I'm not living in my shop.

Well my opinion I think every mom just knows what to do like they have that instict. I personally like breastfeeding it cause less ear infections in your child and thye very often get sick, a cold, ect. ect. I had to stop breastfeeding 5 days after I had my osn bc I had seizures from the LATEX epidural. I'm allergic to latex and they did not see this when they did the epidural. I had seizures for 2 months and they put me on a medicine called Nuroten srry cant spell but anyways this medicine would have killed my son instantly if I took this medicine and then breats fed!!!! I hope this helps. :-D