Hello! I have had my right nipple pierced for 2 years now and I haven’t had any problems with it before. However, for the last three weeks I have been experiencing some strange milky discharge from my nipple and the area got a little bit red, and scaly. It would hurt or lets better say burn from time to time. My friend told me to go and have it checked because it could be mastitis, something that her sister had while breastfeeding, that it could have happened that a bacteria entered one of the holes. I went to a dermatologist and she took a sample of this discharge for biopsy. She said that my symptoms resemble Padgett’s disease but that I should start panicking or worrying until I got the results. I always thought that Padgets disease had something to do with bones not breasts. What is it? Please, help!

Yes, you are right. There is a padgets disease, which is a disease of the bones but there is also a breast padgets that it is a form of cancer. Most women who develop this cancer usually have an underlying ductal breast cancer. Padgets disease starts in the breast ducts and progresses to the skin of the nipple areola around the nipple. Sorry to say, but your symptoms do resemble padget’s disease symptom’s. Patients usually find a lump in the nipple or breast area. Have you found any lumps? However, you doctor was right when she told you not to panic because there are certain conditions that could mimic padgets. Lab results will show. The treatment of course depends on the progress of the disease and may include removal of the tumor or removal of the breast tissue. Hang on in there!