I've been lifting weights 3 times a week for a long time now. Probably very regularly for 9 months. Anyway, I've seen increases in everything, but the biceps are stuck.

I like using the machines, because they are faster to setup between sets. And you can't use the free weights as easily because every buff guy on the planet is on that side of the room. So you'll spend too much time over there lugging weights back and forth .. and I don't like to spend more than 60 secs between sets.

So for a long time I've been using the Preacher Bench machine. I haven't been able to increase the weight any in a couple of months. Whats the deal? Maybe this is normal since the bicep probably gets worked out a little bit in all the other upper body exercises also.

So I've switched to dumbells on just the biceps. Any ideas on a good and effective bicep work out?

Thanks

I have been lifting weights for a while now 1.5-2 years?? Don't keep doing the same exercise/machine everytime you lift, you need to try to change it up a bit. When you go to lift aim to kill what ever muscle group you are working on. Free weights are real good for your bi's. Here are some good exercises I recommend for your bi's.

-21's: These are perhaps the best thing for your bi's. Get a french bar, the bar that looks bent, and put on some weight your are comfortable with. Do 7 curls going from all the way up to half way down, then do 7 curls from all the way down to half way up, then do 7 curls from all the way down to all the way up so you are doing the full motion. Do 3 to 4 sets gradually increasing weight. This will kill your arms in a good way.

-Another good thing for your arms is pull ups. Do them with the bottoms of your wrists facing you. Do as many as possible and as many sets as possible.

-Do curls with free weights your are comfortable with. Get 2 free weights and stand up back straight with your feet together. Curl up your arms 1 at a time, 10 times. Try to aim for 3-5 sets gradually increasing weight.

-Doing dips is also good for your bi's. Try to get some sets in at your gym if they have the equipment to do it. If they don't have it you can improvise at your home. Get 2 tables or something equivalent and put them close together and do some dips.

When you lift also try to maintain form and correct lifting techniques. Doing it the right way is much better than aiming for more reps. Definitely try to do the sets of 21's they are the best.

Thanks for the tips. I do need to change it up. I know the value of changing up the routine, but I get used to one thing and have a hard time doing something different. So I've been keeping writting records of the work outs and as long as I have gains I stay on the same machine. But with the biceps and triceps I'll change it up maybe ever single session.

My biggest gain is in the chest. That area seems to get stronger pretty fast.

Ditto on the 21 curls. I do them with dumbbells and I find them way more effective than regular bicep curls.

You don't need to change every single session. Just change up every 4 - 6 weeks. It takes some time for your body to adapt to new stresses. If you change every single workout, I doubt you will see any increases.

Ah! I didn't realize this. Thanks a lot. Well I've been changing the triceps too often then.
I have a really difficult time getting free weights in the gym. But now that I know this, I'll just have to be more patient. :D

Just be aggressive and grab the weights when they are available. Don't be intimidated by huge testosterone freaks. Many times the huge dudes in the gym are pretty cool and can tell you some tips/new exercises.