i'm feeling the burn from dumbbell circuits and i'm loving it.

i can actually *see* the results much better then i can doing machine weights.

i pulled my workout from Menshealth Total Body special thing, i'll post it a little later on if anyone is interested.

Please post it, I'd like to see it.

Glad you're happy with the results you're getting too.

I prefer free weights over machines. They hit the secondary and stabilizer muscles for a better overall workout.

I like free weights, too -- just don't trust myself in a gym setting yet. I'm the clumsy sort that is probably less likely to be injured with a machine. Heh.

It's amazing how true that is. Freshman year I worked out with some 20lb dumbbells doing curls mostly. Then I started going to the rec and working on the machines. On the curl machine I worked up to about 90 lbs (using both arms here) but I never could curl more than 35 or so with freeweights (one arm).
I was just thinking today that I should buy some freeweights and just do a 15 minute mini-workout in the mornings... something I actually have time for.

sorry this took so long to post -
i've been doing the Fat Loss one to cut back on my bodyfat so i can start putting on muscle. it's one of 8-12 reps of each exercise, repeated once or twice (i do it 3-4 times in a series) with minimal rest between exercises.
it's the workout (more or less) that i used all throughout high school for my training.
you can also do basic strength and muscle building - one set 8-12 reps of each exercise, rest one minute between sets.
agressive muscle building - 3 sets of 6 to 10 reps of each exercise (sub other chest presses for the pushup if you want) rest one to 2 minuts between sets.
agressive strength and muscle building - 3-5 sets of 6 repetitions of the first four exercises in the workouts, and one set of 10 to 12 reps of the others. rest 2-3 minutes between sets...
Chest/Triceps:
Dumbbelll pushup. a regular pushup with hexagonal dumbells, after you lower yourself, pause for a second, then go back up. (i feel a better burn when i do them slower)
you can also do one dumbell or two dumbell T-pushups, where you go down, then raise one arm w/ dumbell in the air so your body makes a T shape.
Upper Back:
Bent-over row - kind've self explanatory... you can also do one arm bent-over rows, or alternating arms...
Shoulders:
Alternating shoulder press - stand holding dumbbells at the sides of your shoulders. lift the left on over your head while you bend to the right. as you lower that one, raise the other, bending to your left.
you can also do the rotation press, where you twist instead of bending on each rep. (i like this one best). or the curl and press, where you curl to your shoulders, then rotate your hands outwards as you press them over head.
Biceps:
alternating biceps curl - pretty self explanatory
cross uppercut - one arm at a time, lift a dumbell as you twist as if you were throwing an uppercut. repeat with other arm. or again - do the curl and press from the shoulders section.
Abs
a cross crunch, a speed rotation, or a wood chop... i don't much like these. i'd rather just do inclined situps.
Lower Body
Squat, stand holding the dumbells outside your thighs. slowly lower ourself until your thighs are parallel to the floor. pause, then stand up to the starting position.
you can also do a jump squat, lower yourself then jump as high as you can. land with your knees slightly bent, squat back down and repeat.
and that's basically it. i've also been doing bench press, and chinups, and i can actually see the muscles shaping. so i'm pretty happy with the dumbbells, i can really feel the burn. but i'll keep the other stuff up to for size gains.