hello i need some help, ive been lifting weights for about 3 months most when i go to the gym. I dont just do weights i do running, tredmill,bike etc as well. The weight i lift depends on the machine i use you example for chest press i do from 15-40kg sometimes 55kg at a push! but i only do about 5-10 on 55. but on a lower 1 like 25kg i do repetitive sets of ike 10-12 like 5 times most sometimes its hard to push like the last 3 up as my arms start to ache i only do weights for like 10-40 mins 3 times a week,  im 14 and was wondering has this already stunted my growth? or will it if i dont stop now? thanks im thinking of giving up lifting any weights at all if its going to stop me from growing if it hasnt messed it up already :( thankyou.

hey there connor.... have you started to go through puberty yet? if so how long ago? how tall are you and how tall are you biological parents.  You should be fine and weight lifting is very comon among 14 year olds. just do over do it and compleatly strain yourself all the time....

im taller than my mum and nearly as tall as my dad im 5ft something ive started puberty duno how long for. do u think i have damaged my growth plates? or affected my growth rate/ my final height? as i have been doing the weight machines (not the squating way) if i do a low weight like 5kg on 6 lots of 10 on the machines is this good for me? or does it stunt my growth still? thanks

connor12345 wrote:

Biomajor'10 wrote:

I think that you are fine doing the exercises that you are doing and i doubt it will have any affects on your bones or height.

nah man i have been weight lifting for about 5 months now and i am 14 too. you wont stunt yourself as long as you dont max too much. I can only max at 140 pounds, and i rarley do that because i will hurt my self if i maxed everytime. so i only do about 100 pounds 15 times and that will be plenty of workout. and yea if you do low weights you cannot stunt your growth.
hope this helps