Hi everybody. I am 14 years old and I weight lift three times a week. I only “use” weights that I can manage comfortably. But, my mum keeps telling me that it will stunt my growth which is really annoying. If I do get enough sleep, eat healthy food and lift only weights I’m comfortable with, is there a chance I will be stunting my growth??? I would really appreciate any replies!!! Thanks.

I don't think your mother is right - it's very unlikely that weight lifting you described will affect your vertical growth. All you have to do is to make sure that you are using appropriate weights and correct techniques. I would suggest you getting a trainer involved – that should make your mom happy too. When she sees that you are cautious and looked over by a trainer, I think that she will not have any more complaints. As far as I know, most sports centers and gyms have trainers that can offer supervision. Good luck with it. Take care and stay outta trouble.

You know, there's no evidence whatsoever that weight lifting for teens stunts their growth. No study has ever proven this. There are, however, possible side effects of weight training - as with any sport, if you do too much too quickly, and in the wrong way, you can really do your body some serious harm. That's why it is important to receive adequate supervision and to start with lighter weights and more reps, rather than heavier weights and fewer reps. You can even see your family doctor to get the OK, if that would make your mom feel any better. And of course, don't neglect the cardio either.

No it won't stunt your growth but get a personal trainer to fit you up with a work out and teach you proper form because it will prevent any damage and you'll make better gains.

Do the following to get more out of your training-

-sort out your diet- most important gains come from 55% nutrition %40 training and %5 is supplements for that extra push (but just stick to protein poweders at your age)
-personal trainer
-check with a doc if you have any worries about safety or if you have any medical history things. like back pain.
-Get Modivated !!!
educate you self on this stuff with web sites like

******edited by moderator**web addresses not allowed******

and remember take it slowly, its a gradual thing that takes time and modivation.

weigt training can stunt growth when you overtrain, but as long as you train no more than 3 times a week, and get sufficient nutrition and rest you should be ok. In fact, this kind of training is good for your musculoskeletal system.

Does Squating at 14 years old stund your growth

Does Squating for football at 14 years old stunt your growth

yu

Does squating at 14 years old stunt your growth because when i was squating at the gym this guy told me tha i wait till i was 15 because it would stunt my growth. is he right

When I was in grade 9 me and a couple friends went to the gym. I did't really no what I was doing because it was my first tiem doing weights. I did weight lifting 3 times a week from grade 9 to grade 12. through the months I noticed I wasn't growing, I waiting to I was grade 12, and still I grew nothing. Has weight lifting stunt my growth forever will I have a chance to grow again, and will I still look like a grade 9 forever.

It is no myth that lifting too heavy of weights does effect your growth hormone. Without getting into the whole endrocrine system, by lifting too heavy weights on a regular basis under the age 16 can effect this hormone and cause it to decrease. Now, using light weights, good form and repetitions you will get the rewards of being fit and strengthing your muscles without side effects. I understand no one wants to believe this but, it is true, because most boys want to do more than they should sometimes lifting too heavy weights and increasing the weights it can feel empowering and young men tend to overextend themselves.

How many reps should I be able to do while lifting to cause no negative effects?

No, weight lifting will not stunt your growth as long as you don't bench max every time you do it. For example in the off season of football and baseball for me I went to the gym every day (not saturday or sunday) and I asked the trainer there if weight lifting woyld stunt your growth he said no as long as you work out same muscle groups three days apart like light bench monday and heavy bench thursday (same week). Trust me I really looked into this because I'm 14 and sure don't want to be short at all.

LBS REPS

Incline Bench 10 10-10-10

Curl 10 10-10-10

Bench 15 15-15-15

Triceps 5 5-5-5

note** these are all free weights done on a bench. this is a fast view but;s it all the same weights but just in this paturn incline,curl incline,curl incline,curl then bench, triceps bench, triceps bench, triceps.. i wait 2 minutes inbetween each. thank you so much for your time and please respond if this is safe for a 13 year old. If ppl reply i will love them for life

im 14 im 5 feet tall and weigh about 95 pounds i want ton start weight lifting but im afriad it will stunt my growth but then im also tired of being weak and smaall and getting walked all over at school so will weight lifting at the age of 14 stunt my growth
please reply i could really use some help and answers