Hi, I am 26 yrs old and for the last year and a half I have had some different symptoms that I believe are related to my thyroid.

During a stressful year of school I started to gain weight and was hardly eating. I thought that it was just stress, but school has been over for 8 mo and I am 40 lbs heavier and only going up. I've increased my exercise and have really been watching what I eat. I have huge dark circles under my eyes even though I get my 8 hrs every night. I'm tired. Lately I have been feeling depressed and have had trouble swallowing.

I went to my doctor about six months ago. In the office my feet turned completely purple-they were so cold. I told him all of my problems and he looked at my eyebrows (no problems there) and told me I was too young for a thyroid problem. I am starting to feel frustrated. I am the heaviest I have ever been and I just feel bad.

I don't have insurance. I have thought about a home thyroid test, but I'm not sure if that would be any cheaper. I love to hear any advice anyone might have.

I am currently 26 years old as well and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at 25. I also was diagnosed after a stressful time in school. You are not too young for it, he should run a thyroid panel (TSH, T4, T3) to check what your levels are regardless; otherwise you are better off with another PCP. I don't know of any home thyroid tests or their reliability. Let me know if you have any other questions!