I have recently been diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism, and even more recently with thyroiditis. I have a thyroid goiter which is steadily getting larger (have been following it for 2 years) and the symptoms I have been experiencing (always tired even though I sleep 8-10 hrs/night, inability to lose weight even after aerobic exercise and diet adherence, always cold, hair falling out, and many many more) are getting worse. BUT...my TSH levels and T3 and T4 levels are always in the normal range, right on the edge of being abnormal, but still normal. SO...the docs (primary care and endocrinologist and ENT docs I have seen) still won't treat me because of my
normal lab values.

Just last month the ENT doc finally drew some blood for thyroid anitbodies, and sure enough, they were present. I have a family history of Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but still, since my TSH and T3 and T4 are within normal range, no treatment.

SO...does anyone out there have any advice on how to deal with the symptoms I am experiencing, since I won't be getting any medical treatment until my lab values finally go past that normal range? I already exercise 3-4X week, and watch what I eat, and try to get enough rest and keep the stress levels down. Anyone else have experience with this problem and have any advice?

I have had it with ignorant and uncaring physicians who go by the ALMIGHTY tests rather than the pleas for help our bodies are obviously making. I have been on a campaign the past year ordering books off the internet and trying to research this condition. Apparently, there are specific endocrinologists that study and work hard to be up to date on hypothyroidism and even Hashimoto's in particular. There is a doctor in Oklahoma City (and maybe even one in your area) who has rave reviews, and may be able to help you or help you locate someone near you. My heart goes out to you. Best of luck. I really sympathize with your weight struggle and am so sorry to hear about your other symptoms. Don't give up, a better quality of life is waiting for you, but you have to fight for it!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use