My sister told me she could not lose weight that she gained few months ago. She started to complain about weakness and fatigue also. When I read about hypothyroidism, I saw she has symptoms of it. Now I am worried about her, so I would like to hear if everyone who suffer of hypothyroid experience the same symptoms. Can you tell me more about this problem, and what does it mean actually.

Each individual patient will have any number of typical hypothyroid symptoms. Most of them will vary with the severity of the thyroid hormone deficiency. Important is the length of time the body has been deprived of the proper amount of thyroid hormone. Some patients will have one of these symptoms as their main complaint, while someone else will not have that problem at all. However, most patients of hypothyroid will have a combination of a number of these typical symptoms. Occasionally, some patients with hypothyroidism have no symptoms at all, but anyone who has symptoms of hypothyroid need to discuss them with his or her doctor. Furthermore, it will be needed to seek the skills of an endocrinologist. I guess you know until now that hypothyroidism is a condition in which the body lacks sufficient thyroid hormone. Since the main purpose of thyroid hormone is to run the body's metabolism, it is understandable that patients will have slow metabolism. Over five million Americans have this common medical condition, and it is more common than you would believe.