i have an addiction to oxycotin. i take 2.5 to 3 80mg oxycotin a day i have taken about 125 total this is a relapse. last march (2008) i went through withdrawel after taking about 75 80mg oxycotin. i dont know if i can stand that again. any suggestion you might give would be greatly appreciated

i too took about 2 - 80mg oxycotins a day. I went to a rehab centre and am registered to enter the residential program on june 20. I was advised by the counsellor there to "wean" off and have been doing this for about 4 wks now. I started by 1st week - 120mg, 2nd week - i brought it down 20mg to 100mg, 3rd week down to 80mg, 4th week down to 60mg, etc until i am down to 20mg a day. This was advised to help with the withdrawals. I quit about 3 mths ago cold turkey and almost died of withdrawals...made it 5wks without the stupid things but relapsed after a crisis in my life. My doctor also prescribed me Ativan...they dont do much for the pain but they do help with the anxiety and cravings. Alot of people say this is a bad move but maybe they dont fully understand how bad the withdrawals are...just watch u dont get addicted to these things...i didnt find that i craved them at all when i stopped them. Maybe u could try this as well...respond if u would like to hear how it goes over the next few wks.

I'm glad you talked about going down in stages when it comes to painkillers. Getting over addiction is very difficult and a lot of people fail to compensate for the mental and physical problems that will complicate the process. I think that it's helpful what you've posted so keep us posted on your insights. Thanks again!