My nephew has been on methadone for four years and wants to get off it but is afraid of withdrawals. Any insight on what might be helpful for him would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I'm not an expert but I've been "around the block" far too many times, seen a lot, done a lot, etc. I've been on methadone for nearly two years. Methadone was used to help me get off OxyContin. Now I'm addicted to methadone. Go figure. You trade one thing for another. However, I'll tell you what I've found out.

There is a drug called "Suboxone" that is also being used as a way of getting drug addicts off opiates. It's used for getting people off methadone (who used methadone to get off something else, etc.) From what I've seen, read, and heard, Suboxone is just one more drug for you to get addicted to in order to replace what one is currently addicted to. It's becoming ridiculous. Now I'll quit complaining about the insanity of it all and try to be helpful.

From everything I've been through, which has been considerable, the best way to get off methadone is to taper off slowly. If your nephew is under a doctor's care, the doctor can help him with that. From personal experience and from seeing others go through this, it's really the best and most successful way. For one thing, you have to WANT to get off in order to stick with tapering. Withdrawal by tapering is not a barrel of fun but it's not horrible either if you do it slowly and by small amounts. By "small amounts," I'm talking .5 mg - 1 mg every couple weeks. If you try to do it any faster, there will some very hard times to get through and those are the times when one is tempted to give up and "just go back" to using because it's better than "this." If you taper slowly by small amounts, you allow your body time to get used to the new, lower dose before you do it again. I've heard of people taking a number of months up to a year to completely get off but those are the people who will STAY off or not try to substitute with something else. Of course, the length of time it takes to taper off also depends on the dosage one is on to begin with. Trying to taper off too quickly is very uncomfortable and, for me and others I've seen try it, virtually impossible.

I hope that helps and that an expert will be able to tell you more. My other suggestion would be for your nephew to see an addiction specialist. Yes, there is a specialty for just that.

Good luck.

I had no idea you could get .5 - 1mg dose. I just went to 5mgs & was going to go off in about 2 weeks completely. What do you think I should do? I feel horrible with a bad headache & lightheaded, possibly from two days on a klonadin patch. Got a shot of demoral today for the headache.
I'm a business owner, wife & mother of 2. I need my life back. I've had 2 years of hell from a few failed back surgeries. Finally a spinal cord stimulator. I need to feel normal again. I'm missing out on so many things right now due to the depression of it all. Xanax helps but I don't want to be on anything anymore. The cure is so much worse than the initial pain. Anyone have any ideas? Before I hurt my back I was in the best shape of my life at 42. Now I feel like I'm dying. HELP! Also had horrible expirience with wellbutrin. Side effects & then withdrawls at the same time as going down 5mgs of methadone. I don't see how anyone can take that kind of medication.

I am on methadone also. I went from 100mgs to 20mg going down 5mgs a week. Last monday I went from 25 to 20. It was not fun but I did'nt get the nasuia which was good, If you are down to 5 mgs I would suggest going to 2.5 then when you get stable with that (a week or 2) go down to 0, If I were on 5mg I would just go to 0 right away, You are not on a high dose. Yes it will suck for a week or two, Eat high protien and exersise if possible I know you dont feel like doing that but it will help.

I am going down to 15 mg next week, When I go down I cant sleep good and feel bad, but its better than not eating and having dihiera for 2 weeks. Thats what happend to me when I tried to go from 25mg to 0 cold turkey.

Its Hell but 5mg is not high at all! You will be over it in about a week or two. It would take me 4-5 weeks to cold turkey it, I went 14 days before and I still felt bad, but that was from a much high dose.

I was on methadone for 15 years, got on it from herion. I was 52 years old when i stepped off, one thing i can tell you for a fact is it is alot easier for a younger person to get off. Also the longer you are on it will make it harder. It took me about a year after my final dose to start feeling like the person I once was. I was on 130 mg. I have never knocked methadone, i was very sick when i got on it , but it is a very wicked drug to get off of. I T TOOK ME 2 YEARS TO GET OFF.

I am a counselor at a methadone clinic and try to help my patient taper off safely. A few make it but most don't because they are too anxious and rush themselves. They also do not prepare themselves well for when their addiction comes back. I recommend a 2-3mg per week drop until they hit their "wall" when they should then hold until comfortable and then start again at a much slower rate. They will know when to go down again. Remember, the lower you go the more each milligram counts ie, at 20mg, 1mg = 5% of your dose. At 10mg, 1mg = 10% of your dose. Back to not preparing...you should have a solid support group who are versed in what withdrawals feel like and who will help you get through them both physically and psychologically. You should cut out junk food and start a diet that promotes the production of the feel good neurochemicals (see your nutritionist). You should have a good exercise routine that will help stimulate endorphins but don't overdo as you will burn through what methadone you have and be uncomfortable. Get lots of sleep. Above all, remember to try this with as little help from other drugs as possible. AS someone posted previously, the people who succeed are those who are diligent about not using and do not rush themselves. There's more but that's a good start. Good luck!

I find it interesting that there are NEVER any success stories on these websites about methadone. I just successfully completed methadone treatment 3 days ago. I tapered down SLOWLY over a matter of years. Did it take me a long time? Yes. Was it worth it? YES! I think the problem is that everyone wants an "easy" fix. No such thing. I was on 90 mgs 6 years ago. I started titering down almost as soon as I started. When I felt I needed to stop, I stopped. But along the way, I did TONS of work on myself. And I mean TONS. In those 6 years, I got married, had a child, bought a home and went back to school. 3 days after stopping my 1 mg dose, I feel good. Do I feel a little blah? yes. Do I feel cravings or "dope sick"? No. Maybe it would have been nice to get clean without methadone, but I wasn't able to do it. Methadone gave me a life back and gave me something worth living for. And now it's behind me and I move on to an entire new chapter of my life. You have to really have a true desire to get off methadone and stay clean to do it, but it is possible! I think it's all in the desire to CHANGE. I really wanted to change. And I did. I have a beautiful life now with my beautiful family and a beautiful future in sight. Methadone doesn't have to be the devil for everyone!

I'm going into detox/rehab next month. Eleven yrs. ago I had a spinal fusion after being thrown from a horse and breaking a vertebra. I've been on everything for pain" the fentanyl patch, morphine. oxycontin, you name it. Most recently (last year or so) I've been on methadone. I don't know how long the detox/rehab place will keep me on methadone, tapering down, but I'd like some advice on how long they should take. I've been on 60 mg, daily for about 1 year, and have been on painkillers of all sorts for 11 years. Thanks for any help anyone can give. Marta

I think this site should have more answers on it. If your like me you research this subject becausze you want to know the dos and donts of coming off methadone. I have clean from methadone for 2 weeks and 2 days. Every once in awile I take xanax for that nervous anxious feeling. I also have been taking vitamins because everyone says that the meth deplets the body of important nutrients. I'm no expert but some advice from a recovering addict means more to me than advice from some doctor who's never been through it. My advice is simple, you need to be around people. Some people just lay in bed till they feel better. In my experience this is a mistake. Your mind races and all you can think about is how bad you feel which is extremely counter productive. Start making plans even if their small. Giving yourself something to look forward to is key. I'm sure we all agree that when we were using our only plans revolved around our next score. I will pray for all of you, remember that your not alone. Were all going through it

I have been on Methodone for 2 yrs. I didnt realize what i was getting into. Told myself that i would be clean in a year...... boy was i wrong.i detoxed for a lil while and got down to 20mg. I was doing pretty good til i got a new job that required alot of physical work. by 3pm i was drained and the withdrawls would begin. I started going back up so i could perform at work so now Im back up to 40mg. I dont want to get any higher cause i wanto be normal again. For those of you that pray, please remember me and my children. Im a single mom with 2 great boys, Dylan, 17 and Bradley, 10. My kids need me and i want to be there for them when ever they need me, i dont want to be in the bed suffering from withdrawals or zoned out on methodone. I need positive support and guidance.

yeah my names taylor w., ive been on liquid methadone for about 9 months now. Its freakin harder to get off of than heroin itself. Figuring it is synthetic heroin from the government. I've tried the tapering down method before but i was going down too fast...i tried going down 8mg every 3 days...thinking that was a reasonable method. But i was wrong. I was at 90mg and started going down 8mg every 3 days and once i got to 67mg i started not being able to get a good nights sleep. So yeah, i would say try going down 3mg at a time every 3 to 4 days...so your metabloism can catch up. I really wish i didnt even get on this sh*t, its wayyyyy more addictive than heroin and the withdrawals from it last 3X as long. Heroin withdrawal lasts about a week.(the worst parts) and methadone withdrawal lasts for a damn MONTH and the side effects are much more painful and intense. So if you are a heroin addict that wants to get off...DONT resort to methadone, its just a pussys way out. YOU will regret it. Just go through the 4 to 7 days of heroin withdrawal, its way worth it than getting hooked to something else. I just want to share my experiences with others, hoping i can help even in the smallest of ways.
later fellow junkies. =)

hey, my bf was on oxy contin and a "friend" introduced him to methadone. hes been on methadone for about a year or more now. he went to a clinic and they started him on a low dose thn raised it. he was on i think 90 milligrams before he ust stopped going. hey buys off the street and eats thm like theyre candy now. hes trying to get help but we cant afford it. i was wondering wht would be a safe way to get off. hes tryed the tapering method but his mom takes his pills whn he gives thm to her to hide from him. any advice?

I have been on liquid methadone for 3 years. After about 2 or 3 months i was quickly brought up to 110mg. After two years and a years worth of clean 'urines', i began a blind detox taper system that my clinic offers. The benefit of blind detox is that you dont know when or how much your going down. Normally it is never than 5mg at a time (depending on your dose). Last week i wanted to find out what my dose is currently at, and they told me 18mg. WOW!. I went from 110mg to 18mg and i never felt it. Please do not believe the horror stories you here on the street or from friends. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. Getting off of methadone is not easy and i still have many hurdles to get over. But i will say that blind detox works.

I been on methadone for 4 years and I am about to detox from 8 mg and I am scared to death. ANy tips on how to sleep and get through it as comfortably as possible?

I have tried 3 times to taper off...I agree with everything except that it takes a lot longer than a year to taper off.....take your time and do not be in a hurry because you will feel every mg. you go down. half a mg. at a time when you get down to 10 and under......I am in the midst of tapering off for the third time and I only go down a mg. every couple of months but that is me. Everyone is different. I also heard of a new thing called Ibograine that is a herb that is supposed to help with withdrawal...You mat want to google it...