I am 33 weeks pregnant and I have been on pain pills my whole pregnancy at least 30-40mg a day and I am worried what is going to happen to my baby! Please don't judge me addiction is a powerful thing that no one can understand unless you've been there yourself...I recently had a friend who had a baby and she also was on them the entire time she was pregnant and her baby was fine and I know a few others who were and they are also fine.. but I know that there is always that chance b/c some aren't so lucky... What should I do? Please only reply if you've been through this yourself or know someone who has... I don't need any judgmental people making me feel worse about myself....

I'm proud of you for asking for help and I'm not judging you. I've a loved one that is suffering with alcoholism.

You need to come off the pain pills, not just while you're pregnant but so that you can take care of the baby in the manner to which the baby deserves. I'm not saying you can't do it on pills, but the baby deserves a parent that can focus on them and not their next fix.

If you nurse the baby, the medicine will be in your milk. It will be passed on to the baby. The baby will in effect become drugged as well.

Also, you can't say that your friends baby is fine or the others. They may appear fine now, but what about in 10 or 20 years? The long term consequences of using drugs during pregnancy are not known.

You are not alone. You've taken the first step by asking for help. Check with your doctor for treatment options.

Your baby is worth it.

Please let us know how you're doing. All the best of luck.

No one here is going to judge you for being on pills and suffering with your addiction. I know that there is a possibility that you are running of birth defects or having a child who is addicted to pain pills, so that's a risk that you know that you are running. I hope that for your sake that you are able to navigate your pregnancy without any serious harm coming to your child, but you do know that this may happen. I think it would be good to talk to your doctor about it--because your doctor can help you best in this case. Please keep us posted, and have a healthy pregnancy.

Hi Hon: One of the big things that will probably happen is your baby will be addicted to the same pills. There are MANY women out there right now who are pregnant and on severe medications, usually for pain. My sister is/was one of them. She had to take several major medications throughout her pregnancy, so when my nephew was born, the doctors were already aware of what she was taking etc. He needed to stay in the NICU! for about a week or 2, and had to have oxygen, and had the shakes etc. Sometimes babies can be quite irratable - they are basically detoxing - just like us right? So talk to your doctor, come clean about ALL the drugs you are taking, and get yours and your baby's heart rate checked. He/She will then let the doctors know at the hospital, JUST IN CASE there are complications after your baby's birth. If you don't tell them, and your baby does have breathing difficulties they will be at a loss, so being open with everyone is the best option.

I KNOW about addiction hun, and I would never or will never judge someone for this illness. Dependin on what drug/s you are on then there COULD be birth defects. Most drugs that have to do with skin conditions are actually the worst!!!! So be open with your doctor OK hon! You are definitely not alone, and just know that everyone is different, and what might have happened with your friends babies, doesn't normally be the same for everyone. Good luck hun and keep me posted, and if you ever want to talk I'm usually on this!!!

im sorry to hear you're going through this....i did also. had my son on 4-16-09. i still am addicted. please try to do what you can to get off now. for your baby and for your future. it's only going to be that much harder detoxing with a baby to care for. the doctors will give you help. my only suggestion would be to cut back as much as you can. just enough to not make you feel like you want to die. as far as your baby being healthy, i did tons of research when i was pregnant because i was scared also. the only few reported cases i found were from very high dosages. my baby came out perfect. he is happy, healthy, and progressing normally. i consider myself blessed everyday. please try to fight this battle now.

I'm really glad to hear from you because I think that this poster could definitely use the support since it's a difficult thing to go through. Would you mind sharing what happened a little more throughought your pregnancy? What happened after you gave birth? Did you talk to your doctors about it and did they know? How did your child deal with withdrawal symptoms? ANy information can help. Thanks again!

Thank you for asking and i hope this information is beneficial to anyone reading. i was told by a specialist that i was not able to get pregnant. and to my surprise, i eventually did. i was addicted before my son was even conceived. i had a very hard pregnancy. LOTS of transitions in my life, severe nausea, discovered i had an ulcer and gallbladder stones, pre-eclampsia. i was constantly depressed and without the pills i was dead...after i gave birth everything was normal with the baby. i wanted to quit then but i had a c-section. so that means more pills prescribed. LUCKILY, my son had no withdrawal symptoms and was absolutely perfect. i NEVER talked to anyone about my problem. social services would be waiting to take him away then. they already discovered about marijuana in my system. that was the only thing that would keep me from vomitting. so i was just scared and confused most of the time. i would give anyone advice to break this addiction before you have your baby. everything changes soo much and its so hard when you have another life to take care of. Please dont think that i think its right to do drugs while youre pregnant just because my son was blessed and healthy, i dont. i would change it if i could. if anyone needs support or just someone to talk to on this subject, please feel free to contact me on the boards. thank you for reading.

Aade, thanks for telling me so much about your story and I think that you were really lucky that your son was born without symptoms! I'm really happy that you opened up to me about your story and if I do know anyone who has any issues, I will have them talk to you for sure.

i am going through the samething you are and my obgyn is old fashion i guess he wans me to just stop taking them i have been on oxyconttin40 for years now 3 or 4 times a day and my ob exspected me to quit and i tried and i was to the point where i went to the hospital with over anxiety or tummy pains so i have been taking 1 max a day just to claim me so i can wing myself off but im afraid it wont work i was playing on stoping cold turkey at 35 weeks but idk if it was too late im at 30 weeks now

Hi honey! Like many doctors out though - who have never had an addiction - they don't GET IT!!! I am NOT a doctor honey, but since he is not willing to listen to your dilemma, I am going to give you an idea of what to do OK?

Since you have CONSIDERABLY cut down, I want you to get your container and cut all the pills in half! And instead of taking 1 whol pill just take one 1/2 a pill! Just try it and before you take it, have a good look at ALL the pills you have in the container! I know this sounds nuts, but it works! Your brain is the addicted one, and it couldn't care less what you take as LONG as you are taking it!! So when your brain sees ALL those pills, and knows you are taking half a pill, it doesn't care! Give it a try, If you can get down to 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night, this will HELP you and your baby SO much for the next 10 weeks! You will slowly be weaning BOTH of you off this damn drug! Drink warm milk before bed - this helps you keep calm at night! Get as much liquids and fresh air as possible, you need to get this c**p out of your liver and your kidneys! You CAN do this honey, and you HAVE to for your baby! You have to tell your doctor what you are doing, so they will know to watch out for him/her having the shakes! They have to do the oxygen test when the baby is born, and they need to know EVERYTHING OK!? he might not understand you or have sympathy for you, but we do!!!! And many others do too!!! So don't beat yourself up about it, OR let him! Just do what needs to be done, so you don't detox and get yourself eventually clean!

I wish you luck and health honey, and if you ever need to talk I'm usually on here!

i am 19 years oldd have been addicted to pain pills since i was 17. i recently found out that im about three months pregnant, im so scared, idk what to do. the withdrawls are just too much!! i feel like a horrible person everyday because i still have to take stuff so i won't withdrawl. I JUAT WANT TO DIE! dont wanna talk to my doctor because i dont wanna get my baby taken away from me , but i can't live with myself knowing im taking these pain pills while there's another life inside of me. you think that would be enough to stop but it's not that easy! what should i do? is my baby gonna be harmed by this? how can i get off of these things?! IM DESPERATE!!

I understand completely I did 3 years in prison and I'm also addicted to pain pills nobody is in any place to put judgement on someone else I was pregnant and addicted ive had my child taken from me due to this your not alone if you truly want help there are programs out there to do so. I don't want this to happen to you like it did me children are a gift from god addiction is an uncurable disease some don't understand that keep your head up everything will be fine just please get help

Hi i know this is an old post but i was wanting to ask a question if u don't mind about pill addiction while pregnant

Hey, did anyone reply to you in regards to pain meds while pregnant. ??

My child is due in April. I have cut back a lot. I've heard if you are off the pills for over a week you should be fine. I also heard they test the first bowel moment and that goes back a while. My daughter from before while using small pills was fine. Im nervous guess because Im a single mother....any input?