I have a severe allergic reaction to aloe vera--with the redness and swelling described by others. Agave is related to aloe vera, and is being used a natural sweetener.
I have been eating small amounts in bars, and haven't noticed any specific "allergic" reaction. However, I just discovered that as well as being lactose intolerant, I am also gluten intolerant. So the symptoms, if any, could have been masked under the other problems.
I know that potatoes and tomatoes are related night shade plants, and that being allergic to one doesn't always mean being allergic to the other--and I'm hoping the same may hold true for aloe vera versus agave.

No, aloe vera and agave are not from the same family of plants, even though they may appear similar so that is probably the reason why there is no reaction to the agave sweetener. Besides, sweetener doesn't have all the substances aloe gels or other variations have that are responsible for the allergic reaction. But could you explain me what do you mean by potatoes and tomatoes being related somehow - this is the first time I've heard that?

Potatoes and tomatoes are from the nightshade family of plants--the "berries" on potato plants look like little green tomatoes but are toxic. Which is why at one point in American history tomatoes were considered poisonous.

I'm still in the process of discovering what other foods I don't tolerate. The list continues to grow. (groan)--but it's worth it to feel healthier (eventually). I've noticed a large difference with lactose, gluten, green peppers, raw mushrooms and corn products (especially corn based sweeteners).