I want to take up swimming as part of regular exercising. But the problem is I’m a very sensitive person and I’m allergic to many different things. My skin is also very sensitive and I even have problems when I sit on the beach for a short period of time. What if I’m allergic to chlorine? Is there a medicine to prevent that? I wouldn’t like to dive in and get a rash all over my body.

All this doesn’t have to mean that you’ll be allergic to chlorine. It’s a very rare condition. Don’t confuse two different things: allergic reaction to chlorine and being allergic to chlorine. The first have all the usual symptoms such as, red spots on the skin, an unpleasant rash appears, your eyes become red and itchy, and nose is runny. And sudden fits of sneezing are also common. But when it comes to allergy to chlorine, it’s something completely different. A persistent and stubborn rash under armpits and groins is one of the symptoms of true allergy to chlorine. Maybe you can go and test yourself on allergy to chlorine. There are certain medications for allergic reaction to chlorine, but you’d better check with your doctor first.