I have recently been diagnosed with a potato allergy, and am now faced with the reality that I am going to have to be very careful with what I eat. 

For anyone with potato allergy, which foods do I now need to stay away from???  I also react when I touch potatoes....anything else environmentally that contains potato?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

That really sucks. Potatoes are probably really easy to detect. Obviously no more fries and chips. If your not entirely sure, ask if your eating out or just check the ingredients list if you have it.

Hi babybouncer,
I have been allergic to potatoes for as long as I can remember, and was officially tested when I was 7. I will say that potato pops up everywhere. It is such an uncommon allergy and is not always labeled. Such as canned tuna fish, if it does not list what the vegetables are in the vegetable broth most likely there is potato. I had to email chicken of the sea to find this out. Also most shredded cheeses have potato starch. The list goes on and on and now recently I am getting to the point where I am just going to stop eating breads because even though its not listed I have been having reactions. Some people allergic to potatoes also say that they have reactions to birch pollen during spring and cannot eat apples during this time as well. I can go on and on but this is a start. Good luck and if you find anything out as well please let me know!

Please be careful and carefully check all breads. I have been near death from potato in bread. Also recently I have discovered potato starch in grated cheese at the grocery store. It is also a good idea to stay away from soups and gravy's unless you make them your self as potato starch is used as a thickening agent.

Hi. It sounds like you have as sever of a potato allergy as I do. I wanted to mention you might also want to be cautious of soups and gravy's as well. I have utmost sympathy for anyone who has this rare allergy. It is so hard to avoid and you never know when it will pop up. I can't even eat in restruants that use a grille because of hashbrowns. I always make sure the cook uses a separate pan when prepairing my food.
Be safe and good luck~

I too have a potato allergy and have been told to stay away from dextrose, vitamin A palmitate and yeast which all contain potato.

B vitamins that are used to replace nutrients in refined flour and rice are from potatoes.  Also, some baking powders(because of potato starch), yeast, modified food starch, cellulose, dextrose(sugar made from potato), guar gum, and xanthum gum.  I don't eat anything that is breaded or baked unless I make it myself.  You can make your own baking powder using cornstarch and baking soda, Red Star yeast is not from potato, and whole wheat flour and brown rice are ok. 

I've been aware of my potato allergy for 5 years and have found that potato starch is in so many manufactured food items you must be very careful. Maltodextrin can be from corn, soy, or potato so avoid this unless you call the manufacturer to find out which. Be careful eating anything fried because most restaurants fry all of their food in the same oil, which means along with fries!

Ok I’ve copied paste information from the web as I’ve had a Potato allergy since I had my last child (nearly 12 years ago). It’s been pants and causes lots of difficulties eating out. I generally steer clear of places that serve chips. Places like Nandos are less stressful for me as you can check out all foods on their ingredient book. Anyway here is some of the information I have found so far.

I have the added problem in that I’m also allergic to wheat or gluten and my son is either allergic to cow’s milk product or is lactose intolerant (both wheat and milk allergies are in the processed of being ruled out through diet). One of the things that is certain is that potato is in everything from orange juice to mints, chocolates bread Vit a (although I’m finding reports that vit a is grown synthetically) but it’s difficult to buy products without wheat in and potato because they substitutes one for the other) Grrrrrr!

Polydextrose, modified starch, potato fibre, Dextrose Monohydrate, Malto-dextrin, Cellulose, Dextrins, Dextrose (can be potatoes, check your salt and baking powder ingredients!), Lactic acid (generally made from fermented corn or potatoes), Magnesium Stearate, Maltodextrin / Mdltrin (can be derived from potato or corn), Starch, ascorbyl palmitateand SALT (arghhhhh! ), Modified food starch,” “hydrolyzed vegetable protein,” “vegetable broth,” MSG (also labeled as “monosodium glutamate” or “natural flavorings”), “propylene glycol,” some plastic wraps or food storage bags (so that they are biodegradable, apparently), and penicillin-type antibiotics. vitamin A, Multi Dextrose, yeasts, veg oils etc

This includes any food containing potato, potato flour, potato starch, etc. Many soups, stews and other prepared foods contain potato in some form. Dextrose is usually potato, as is vitamin A palmitate, and ascorbyl palmitate. Read labels and do not eat foods containing these. Iodized salt contains dextrose. All lo-fat and skim milk products contain vitamin A palmitate. All baking powder, which I have tested, seems to contain potato, though it is not listed on the label. If baked goods bother you, try those without baking powder. The Gluten free Baking powder from Dr Oetker doesn’t appear to have potato in it.  Potato derivative are added to most commercial flour. Therefore, most bread and pastry products now contain potato. Most yeast contains potato, both baking yeast and beer yeast. Apparently Red Star yeast does not contain potato.

Potato starch and potato starch derivatives are used in many recipes, for example in noodles, wine gums, cocktail nuts for example salt and vinegar and dry roasted, beer spirts etc..

Foreign types of potatoes Peruvian yellow potatoes (papa seca)

potato allergy test: Carroll Food Intolerance test

Even packaging: MannaPackTMRice Ingredients

Ingredients: Long-Grain White Rice, Textured Soy Protein (Soy Flour), Vegetarian Flavoring (Salt, Dextrose, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Modified Corn Starch, Soybean Oil, Turmeric, Onion Powder, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Natural Flavoring), Dehydrated Carrots, Dehydrated Potatoes, Maltodextrin.

The potato is a member of the Solanaceae family, and the Deadly Nightshade familytomato, cherry, eggplant (aubergine),melon, pear, paprika, bell peppers, cayenne pepper, red pepper, tobacco and chili

Don’t forget that potatoes are used in cosmetics shampoos etc...

Just don’t let your guard down as companies change their ingredients all the time.

My allergy causes bloating (look 9 months pregnant, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea grip pains, cramps and just plain agony)

Wow, thanks for the helpful information. This potato allergy is going to be tough. Is there a safe alcoholic drinOtho have when out with friends?

Anyone out there allergic to new potatoes only?  I've always had hives from them.  Regular potatoes are fine.

I am effected by the Deadly Nightshades, especially eggplant, which makes me numb up to my elbows and knees and numbs my tongue (and brain) as well if I eat a lot of them over a few days. Potatoes are OK unless they have green under the peel, in which case I go numb. I am so sensitive to the green potato thing that sometimes I can taste it in mashed potatoes! Perhaps new potatoes have a bit more of the toxin in them as do larger potatoes and this is what you are allergic to.

Look for MODIFIED STARCH in ingredients - it may be tapioca, corn or rice starch, but CAN be potato, even in unlikely foods such as Fabulous Bakin' Boys' muffins! Ready-grated cheese is often coated in it to stop it sticking together, so pre-prepared pizzas, and any ready meal with cheese on it, can be risky.

I have a potato intolerance as well, along with the rest of the nightshades. Just wanted to comment that the melon, cherry, and pear in your list are not in the Solanaceae family but are in the Cucurbitaceae (melon, cucumber, squash) and Rosaceae (cherry, pear, rose, apple) families, respectively.

I know the pain and frustration of figuring out the allergy/food intolerance to potatoes. I had to totally cut out all potatoes out of my diet for a while and this really helped me heal (intestinal tract was irritated). Then I reintroduced potatoes and potato starch back into my diet. I can eat a baked potato now and again, but potato starch has to be off limits. I always have a problem of some type--usually it's intestinal problems but lately it has been related to my knee. My left knee only gets totally inflamed when I've had potato starch in something. It is difficult to get the pain under control. Normally, once the toxin is out of my system, my knee will return to being a "normal" knee. It acts as a kind of barometer in how it reacts to potato starch. I've had a severe reaction with knee pain, major migraine (I never get headaches!), extremely tired, and throw up. I have been on gluten-free diet and know not to eat any gluten-free products (most made with potato starch) and watch out for soups (even if they are in a BPA-free container!) as they have potato starch added as a thickner. I have severely modified my diet but my health is so much better. It is when I try to eat out at restaruants or eat food prepared by others that I run into problems. It took me a while to learn this Hope this helps someone else! Kate