I have a boyfriend and we have been together for 7 years. We were supposed to get married and such but that didn't happen, and seeing the problems he goes through, I can see why. For the first two years, our relationship was well. We broke up many times but always got back together. I cannot live without talking to him for even a day.

Around the 3rd year or so, he acted a bit strange. Sometimes he was easily angered, and got moody and even abusive tendencies.. he said really mean things and sometimes even hit. (Yes I know abusive relationships are bad) He apologized for them afterwards and really warmed me after and was very nice again. I get this isn't healthy, but I really dealt with this anyway (I hope no one judges me for this). My friends and I jokingly said he had bipolar disorder and some other psychological issues, but being that these things are hard to see, I kind of brushed it off and didn't take it seriously. 

We ran through problems.. he cheated on me, I cheated on him. We forgave each other. It wasn't until the last two years (5th and 6th year) that I notice he tends to act even strange. He became addicted to Xanax and drinking. I let that slide. I thought it was just a phase. About more than a month ago, he admitted to me that he gets "bored" of things easily and feels depressed out of nowhere. That he gets tired of certain things and certain people, etc. And that he would just stay home watching TV all day. That was when he didn't hang out with anyone at all, not even his friends. On a side note, I have to mention that he seems to pay more attention to his friends than me. But I guess that's because I am not interested in taking drugs, but his friends are.. I don't know. Might I also note that the last several months I was with him, he had the tendency to not talk. One time, he didn't talk to me for a week and it wasn't until I called him and confronted him, that he spoke to me again.

Throughout the months, he did the same thing, but usually said hi and talked once in a few days or so, but never stopped talking to me for two weeks. This time, we broke up a few days ago because he didn't talk to me for almost a week and I honestly didn't know what his problem was. I suggested that we break up if he was going to act like that and he coldly said he agreed and said bye, and never said anything again. I don't know where he lives specifically (still in the same city though) because just he moved, he's always busy or meeting up with a guy friend, I don't know what he does or what goes on in his life because  he never told me. He is a straight up honest person, so if he didn't want to be together in the first place, he would've said something first, not wait for me to suggest a break up. This was the reason why I feel like he's having a bipolar moment and why I am super confused.

He's also usually active on Facebook a lot, but he hasn't said much on it last two weeks. He loves taking pictures with his friends, but he hasn't taken any or updated on anything. I know this isn't the most reliable way to judge a person's mental health, but I feel like he's having a SERIOUS bipolar moment along with his drug use.

Why this is so sudden… I don't know. Just last Tuesday, he asked me if I wanted to meet up and have lunch. Last Thursday, we were conversing very well and he was giving all sorts of "<3" (hearts) and we had a decent conversation. So I don't know why this is so sudden that he stopped talking for almost a week and didn't want to be together anymore.

Note: He moved some weeks ago. It's about 1.5 hours or less from my house with public transportation. We're young, he still lives with his family. We also probably broke up for this time for the 100th time the past 7 years, but I feel like this one is different this time.

So seriously, what's up with that? Is this how some people who are bipolar really act? It's been few days since our break up and I'm already suffering.. I can't sleep, eat, etc..

I sympathise with you. Your boyfriend's behaviour sounds a lot like my own before I was diagnosed, put on medication and given therapy. However, I would advise against labelling someone with a specific mental health problem unless you are a professional.

The best thing to do would be to convince him to go see his GP about his erratic behaviour and offer to go with him. As for your relationship status with him that is completely up to the two of you but I do think the behaviour needs to be addressed and the GP is a good place to start as they can make suggestions and any necessary refferals.

Thanks for the reply. I found out the real reason behind all these problems. :)

I don't feel grate saying that but he seems to be bored of your relationship, he doesn't seem to want it anymore.Let him go. You got together too young.

I already found out the source of the problem, thanks anyway.

My girlfriend and I had pretty much the exact same problem and your boyfriend sounds exactly like me and it caused us to breakup. I got therapy and medication and after a couple months of detoxing from all the negative behaviors you find your real self again in the pile of sh*t you let yourself become. I have Manic Depression(bipolar) and he does too.