Hi. I have just found out I am having twins!!! I am really very excited, but I know there are certain risks of multiple pregnancies. What are these risks? How are multiple pregnancies treated?

Hi. All multiple pregnancies are high-risk pregnancies. They increase the risk of miscarriage, premature birth, diabetes, UTI, anemia, cesarean delivery, and heavy blood loss after delivery. Twins are at higher risk of birth defects and genetic disorders. You have tests used to chech for that, such as chorionic villus sampling and amniocentesis. You will have to go more often to medical checks and you will probably have to deliver your babies early. You need extra good care. You have to eat balanced and nutritious diet and you must take enough calcium, iron and folic acid.

Congratulations on having twins. The risk is higher, but take it easy and everything will be fine. I am a twin, I have a twin brother, so I am hoping I will have twins also when I get pregnant, sometimes it doesn't skip a generation. Good Luck to you and your little ones.