Hi, I have polycistic kidneys and even a bigger problem. I`m 4 months pregnant and am very worried about my baby. I fear that my unborn baby will experience some problems because of my PKD. Also fear that my baby will be born with PKD.

Hi. Polycystic kidney disease is one of the most common inherited disease that affects the kidneys. Children of parents with PKD have a 50% chance of getting the disease. But, PKD can be diagnosed in unborn babies – there is a test called amniocentesis. Also, there is another test, chorionic villus sampling. If you have PKD and you're pregnant, you must take one of those tests to found out. If your hubby is in a good health (read: have no PKD), your baby has a bigger chance to be healthy.

Hello cristie, 

First of all, polycystic kidneys don´t prevent you from carrying a successful pregnancy, but this condition, somewhat even more than others, can contribute to potentially very dangerous pregnancy condition – preeclampsia. And the effect on both your and your baby´s health depend also on the condition of your general health: your pregnancy will need more monitoring if you already have high blood pressure, for example. 

The cause of polycystic kidneys are, for the most part, genetic, so yes, this means that there is a fairly big possibility that your children will carry the gene, too and it would be best for you and your husband to discuss this with your ob-gyn. However, what type of polycystic kidneys might be carried depends also on your husband’s genes.