I feel a lump at the base of my tongue in my throat. I does not hurt. Its more irratating than anything. also i have a terrible taste in my mouth. tastes like a rotton sour grape or what silver may taste like. I brush my teeth every day . I can really feel it when I swallow. Its been like this for 2 months. Thought it would go away, but guess not. I smoke 5 to 8 cigaretes a day. not a drinker. coffee every now and than. any thoughts ??

Hi! I'm not a doctor, so this is just a thought :-) On the surface of base of tongue region, there are normal lumpy growths called lingual tonsils. These lingual tonsils may become enlarged due to a variety of pathologic processes. It could be due to infection, reflux, food allergies, abnormal growth/cyst, and cancer. If they become large enough, they will start touching the epiglottis and cause the unusually sensitive gag reflex as well as difficulty swallowing and change in voice quality. You should see your doctor. I hope this helps.