I have been searching the internet to no avail and I really need to know if what I am experiencing is normal. Ever since I was little, I get small white lumps (similar to what a curd of cottage cheese looks like) that grow in my throat near my tonsils. After they get to a certain size, they come loose. They smell terrible! I want to know what they are and what causes them. Anyone know?

Hi! Do you sometimes cough up this bad smelling lumps or balls? Have you ever seen an ENT on the matter? Do you sometimes feel an irritation in the back of their throat?

These lumps are formed from bacteria, sulphur compounds and dead mucosal cells. The lumps are called tonsil stones or tonsiloliths. The bad smell comes from the bacteria.

Tonsils have little pits on their surface, which are lined with oral mucosa. Oral mucosa that lines the tonsils I being shed just like the skin and is usually mixed with saliva and swallowed. However, these dead cells may build up and form little balls. This is very bacteria sets in and together they make the stones.

Almost every ENT recommend having tonsillectomy for getting rid of them. You may be a good case for tonsillectomy considering you’ve had a chronic problem but you should certainly try all the non-surgical alternatives before undergoing tonsillectomy.
You should consult your ENT about it and ask for tips and advices.

A doc may decide to give you an antibiotic but it hasn’t been proven to be much effective. You may also try to gurgle warm salt water after meals. You make the mixture by mixing 1 teaspoon of table salt with one pint of water. Divide this mixture and gurgling three times a day and see if you experience any benefits.

If you think these may not be tonsils stones, it would be wise to see an ENT about it.

I also get these. Awhile ago I thought it might be tonsillitis or strep throat or something like that. However, the doctor I went to told me that sometimes bits of food become lodged there and that's what happens. Same thing as you... it turns into a white lump and smells really bad. He just removed them with a tongue depressor and I've done the same myself since then. I don't know if that's the right thing to do, but that's my experience. Good luck!

omg !! i hav the same proably but i am a teenager and very worried about it
it has made a small hole in the back of my throat near the side

So I have had a white lump on the back of my throat for a few days now. I have showed people and they were hypnotized by it for some reason. I kept thinking it was cancer, or strep throat perhaps (because I get strep throat practically once a year) and my throat is sore. HOWEVER, I called my doctor and he said that it is probably an infection of the lymph node and it is bacteria (just like everyone else here said).
New Information though : He said to gargle liquid Motrin or Tylenol in my throat and then swallow. I will see how it goes...

Hi

I've had the same thing for a couple of months now and I don't know what to do! I have a hole by my tonsil and although it's quite small it occasionally gets the cottage cheese type stuff in it. I've been using a cotton bud to get the stuff out, but it goes a long way down and I can't really get it all out completely. I've been using a mouthwash and gargling lots but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Some days I feel like I have a lump at the back of my throat and it's doing my head in!

Can anyone offer an actual solution?!!!

Thanks

Hi, I'm a 20 year old female and for probably the last 2 years I have been getting white lumps on my tonsils n my throat always feels sore and itchy because of this. However they come and go all the time I have not yet had it checked out as I hate going to the doctors but now for about the last month I have had 2 groths on my tonsils they are red and are just latched on to my right tonsil, they are nothing like the white bumpos and they are bigger so now I am beginning to worry but I dont want to go to the doctors if it is nothing. Does anyone have any idea?

This is completely normal. IT's only bacteria.

hi i am only 15 yrs old and have developt 7 holes in the back part of my throat and they fill up with what looks like cottage cheese...and i loved cottage cheese...but i stopped eating it when what came out of the holes....some times the holes fill up so much thec cut off my airway and scare me...i take a flashlight and go clean them out the best i can...right now i have 7 holes in my throat...is it normal to have so many??

I just happened on this site and thought my experience might be of help to some of you with this problem. I am in my thirties now, but I had this "holes-that-fill-with-white-junk" in the throat problem for years. I was always misdiagnosed with strep and given antibiotics, which did happen to clear up the bacteria, but the strep test always came back negative. When I had these, I often had 7 or more holes that would fill with the stuff, which I learned to pluck out on my own with Q-tips. Other times only 2 or 3 holes would be infected. Maybe they were triggered by something different each time, but the primary problem was not bits of food that got lodged there, although this could sometimes happen at other times, as the holes did not go away even when the infection cleared up. But oftentimes I'd have a fever or feel generally ill and have a lumpy sort of "sore" throat, not scratchy. Doctors never knew what it was when I was younger but my husband [who is a doctor] said it looked like a strain of tonsillitis. Antibiotics work well, but if you get it frequently enough you might consider having the tonsils removed. It's a fairly easy laser procedure now from what I understand, but the tonsils play a major role in the body's immunity, so if you can put up with the nuisance [and bad breath-- yuck], they might resolve on their own eventually. I stopped getting them in my late twenties. Good luck.

I have had the white cottage cheese lumps in my tonsils for years and i am now in my 30's. They have never bothered me and have not caused any illness. I usually clean my tonsils out every 2 weeks or sooner if i need to. I use a bobby pin that has a rubber tip. The only thing i can think that causes it is pockets of food getting caught in my tonsils. It is weird that i can't find an answer on what causes it so if anyone has a reasonable explanation please share. I am glad however that there are other folks out there that have the same issue.

My throat has been sore for almost two weeks, started with a cold and hasn't gotten better. I've been gargling with salt water & using throat spray on a regular basis, and tonight decided to search out a flashlight to look into my throat - and found what looks like a cottage-cheese curd stuck there on the back/side of my throat & I think that there are a couple more. I searched online and found this message board, but also a lot of stuff came up about thrush - here's a link to one of the sites that came up: http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/dental/dent4380.html

Good Luck with your throats, too! :-)

Actually this is a good thing because your body is trying to eject bacteria which would otherwise be trapped in your system. By these lumps coming out is just the bodys way of getting rid of the bacteria that has collected. it will go away for the most part. I rarely get them now and I too am in my early thirties. I just used a toothpick and poked or pryed them out. Seems to be more of an adolescence thing that would go into the late 20's or so. I remember them sometimes coming out really big when I was in grade 5 or so. I remember having to swallow one during a presentation because I had nowhere to spit it out... Dear God I still remember the experience! yeeesh! NOT recommended! Anyways point is don't worry it is actually good that your body can do this! :-D

I'm 17 now and I've been getting the same since I was about 11! I'm so glad I have an answer! :-D I went to the doctors about it and all he said was "The tonsils aren't meant to be a smooth surface". My doctor refuses to let me have a tonsilectomy despite more than one case of tonsilitis, this (whatever it's called), the fact I have a cyst on my left tonsil (and i think I've developed more because I have lots of slightly smaller lumps similar to my cyst all along the back wall of my throat), and I get a lot of throat infections where my glands or my tonsils swell up and I can't swallow and find it difficult to breathe.

Incidentally, I came across this forum searching for something throat related - I keep getting really sharp pains in a particular point of my throat at the right side. :-( I went to make a doctors appointment today and the woman said "this isn't a walk in clinic" and wouldn't let me make an appointment. Instead she told me I have to phone up for an appointment (Even though I've made SEVERAL appointments by walking in) It's rediculous because I live on the opposite side of the road to the surgery, and I can see the surgery from my window right now! Grrr NHS... >:( *mumble moan mumble*

This is to the person who posted just before me. I've been having the same problem for years. I'd suggest getting a 2nd opinion, since your symptoms seem to be severe. I've been getting the same answer from my personal doctor too, but a couple of times in the past year I had to go to the ER on unrelated illnesses, and upon looking in my throat, the doctors or nurses would say, "Wow, your tonsils are really big!" Mine have been large all my life, and as I type this I'm near tears because of one "tonsil nugget" (as I call them) stuck under my tongue, so far down that I can't reach it, and it's driving me crazy. It feels like something sharp is stuck in my throat.

I usually dig the tonsil nuggets out, but the past few weeks I've been getting at least one a day. This is no longer acceptable. Add that to the fact that I've had trouble breathing through my nose all my life, especially when I'm sleeping, and I snore anytime I'm actually attempting to breathe through my nose asleep.

Tomorrow I'm calling my doctor to set up an appointment and demand, and if need be, BEG for an appointment to get my tonsils removed. I'm tired of the constant scratching at the back of my throat, the sore throats when the tonsil nuggets get really big, and not being able to breathe through my nose. I don't care that it's harder for adults to recover from a tonsillectomy. I've had 6 kids, one of them was a labor with no pain meds, 3 were c-sections, so I'm used to pain! I can deal with 2 weeks of a sore throat if it means no more annoying tonsil problems for the rest of my life!