This post is an extension of the

White chunks in throat thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

This is the stuff here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

I think that there may be more to this than meets the eye. My wife is a nurse, she had never heard of them. Then I stumbled on this site, and it seems they are very common. I, too, thought I had cancer or some sort of fungus in my face...but now I know differently.

But why do WE have them? Maybe the same reason we didn't get our tonsils removed...MAYBE these are poisons/anti-bodies crammed into a clump to be spit out, as a defense?

I think a case study should be made about these things...with a questionnaire and a follow up...to see trends and habits and results. Perhaps these are a pre-cursor or symptom of something bigger...or an indicator of some sort of super immune system...cuz I NEVER get sick.

Maybe I'll start the WCRI, "White Chunk Research Institute".

Like many other people here, I was relieved to discover that the coral looking, yet smelly chunks, are not some kind of a spore or fungus growing in my esophagus.

I just started having them little rascals a few weeks ago. I can't see them, according to people around me I don't have bad breath (they're not just saying it), and I just cough 'em out every few days.

Lately, I've been devouring different kinds of cheese - mostly the smelly sulfur rich kinds (who happen to be the best, but also painfully expensive). Since I never had this predicament before, I suspect they have something to do with it. Has anyone had a similar experience? Has avoiding cheese reduced the phenomena?

anyway, thanks for all the advice!

Some how, I believe this symptom might actually be related to stress. It seems to me that it's been occuring more in the last year that I've been suffering from Anxiety/Depression issues.

Equally, I've noticed since I was younger that after drinking sweets or eating certain sweets, I've had the need to clear a thick substance from the back of my mouth. Perhaps they're related?

Wow so happy to have found this forum. The first time i had one of these was during a throat infection of some sort. I had a visible white bump at the back of my throat, and it fell off when i poked it! That was about 6 years ago. I have had them from time to time over the past few years... but this week has been brutal! Prompting me to search online. And wow, its not just me!

I always just thought it was food, and just one peice... but using some techniques I have found on line, (pushing up on tonsils, "flexing" throat), I realized there are more of them back there and am totally disgusted. Usually I only start trying to hack one up bc I have the familiar gross taste in my mouth. But now I am obsessing that they are always there but just can't be seen... I have never felt so grossed out with myself! I want to get my tonsils out now since from what I have read that is the only sure fire way to be done with them. Eww... why me?

Occasionally you will discover small, whitish-yellow, bad-smelling lumps in the back of your throat. Often these lumps are mistaken for plaque because they look like irregular shaped masses of the gunk sometimes found on your teeth. These are not plaque growths but tonsilloliths, also known as tonsil-stones.
Causes
Tonsil stones are caused by the accumulation of anaerobic bacteria in the pockets of the tonsils. Anaerobic bacteria is a type of bacteria that cannot survive in oxygenated environments. Your tonsils contain recesses called crypts. The surface of your tonsils is formed of a mucus membrane called the oral mucosa. The oral mucosa removes dead cells constantly. These dead cells are usually washed away by your saliva, but can get caught in the crypts of your tonsils. Anaerobic bacteria finds the dead cells and uses them as a food source. As time passes, these bacteria and dead cells accumulate. Your body reacts to the foreign accumulation by attacking it with white blood cells. This gives the tonsilloliths their whitish color. These lumps are not destroyed by your white blood cells, so they sit in the throat pits growing larger over time.
Symptoms
Tonsil stones create an irritating sensation at the back of the throat. They can feel like the beginnings of a strep infection. Occasionally tonsil stones will dislodge spontaneously from the pits of your tonsils. People assume they are bits of plaque because there is little explanation for their sudden appearance in the mouth. Tonsilloliths cause bad breath because they are made of anaerobic bacteria and dead cells. In severe cases tonsil stones can cause tonsillitis.
Prevention/Solution
People use their fingernails or a toothpick to scrape a tonsil stone out. Fingernails are usually dirty so wash your hands thoroughly. Use the head of a moist cotton swab to remove the tonsil stone. If you have a sensitive gag reflex these methods can prove unpleasant.

Dental irrigation systems use jets of water to rinse hard to reach areas of the mouth, including the tonsils. Use caution when using a dental irrigation system as the water pressure can tear the tissue of your tonsils. Set the pressure to its lowest setting and increase pressure as necessary. Using a dental irrigation jet should not irritate your gag reflex as severely as a toothpick or cotton swab.

The most effective method to reduce the occurrence of tonsil stones is to use oxygenated oral care products. These include mouth rinses, nasal sprays, and toothpastes that kill the odor-causing bacteria that leads to tonsilloliths. Killing these bacteria reduces and in some cases prevents further production of tonsil stones.

A severe method to prevent the growth of tonsil stones is to have a tonsillectomy. Discuss other options with your ear, nose and throat doctor before having this procedure.

I’ve had these symptoms for about 3 years now, I’ve tried everything from stopping to eat diary product to gargling 4 times a day with salt and water, however this didn’t help much so I’ve decide to EAT FRESH GARLIC, yes fresh garlic, and it works, it kills all bacteria. I have not experienced these nasty stuff in 3 weeks now since I’ve been chewing on garlic every day. I skip the weekend since i'd like to go out and not smell like i eat tons of garlic.

Good luck

I went to see an ENT about this and he told me to limit the amount of dairy, yeast and vinegar based foods i eat. Like...cheese, or mustard and certain breads. He also mentioned postnasal drip contributed some to this.

I tend to get these when my body starts getting sick, almost like this liths are my tonsils still fighting.

well seem to also have this problem except mine are significantly smaller pure almost bleach white and rather shrivled up I'm still young so it's not age related and not drug related

I take my white stuff out with q-tips, but blood comes with them or blood is all I get - is this area highly vascular? Should I be concerned about the blood?

I am so happy to have found this forum and that I am not alone! However, I am uncertain as to whether or not I should be happy that I get the white clumps or scared. What will happen to the harmful material that the white blood cells attack if ones tonsils are removed? Will they infect the body?

Anyways, my condition is quite unique from everyone else. See, I am young and rarely smoke but it is when I do smoke that these white clumps appear. I'm not gonna lie, I get scared out of my witts! The first time I smoked and noticed the clumps, I thought I had cancer. Who knows, maybe I do and maybe one cancer stick can kill you. This finding has ocurred within this past year. I have quite smoking - five times is enough - and have not experienced any bad breath that results from the white clumps because the clumps no longer appear. However, I still have a small pocket in my mouth, serves as a grim warning not to smoke I suppose.

I was surprised to find that almost everyone had white clumps due to food.

Save your money!

I live in the UK so get all operations and health care for free and have utilised them to the max!

I am a 27 year old Female (non drinker, non smoker, no drugs) when I was 5yrs old I had my tonsils removed (tonsillectomy), because I kept getting tonsillitis (back then they used to take them out as a matter of course, now it’s a last resort as your tonsils are your first line of defence against infections, keep them!).
After that I had no problems with my throat until I was 18, I coughed up what I thought was half a piece of pasta (the ones that look like bows), it was so smelly. Leading up to it coming out, my breath and the taste in my mouth was so bad, once it was out it was gone. I just thought I had got a piece of food stuck! About a month later, same smell and taste, I decided to investigate as I had a sore throat too. Flash light and mirror thing..WOW massive white chunk sticking in the back left side of my throat. I removed it by like coughing and pushing my tongue back and forwards and like clearing my throat and bringing up mucus.

Eventually went to my Doctor who eventually referred me to an ENT specialist who said I had a ‘significant left-side tonsil remnant’ (one tonsil had re-grown). I had my second tonsillectomy when I was 21yrs old. This alleviated the problem....for a while.
About a year and a bit after that I had same problems.. the awful white stuff had returned! Back to doctors, back to ENT specialist who said I had ‘right-side tonsil remnant’ (the other one had re-grown, what a freak eh!).

So by the time I was 23yrs old I was into my third tonsillectomy! and yes it is an awful procedure that Is so painful, i was on so much medication to numb the pain which didn’t really help because it made me vomit, can you imagine how painful that was, your throat is an open wound and then your sick, I nearly passed out in pain!).

So was it third time lucky? Were these awful fungal bits to be banished for good? Well now your thinking surly that’s sorted it? NO...now it’s worse because now I can’t see them in my throat, it’s like there deeper down can’t get to them to remove them. I can taste it all the time and it’s getting worse, my breath must be fowl.

It continued on and off until I got fed up again so... 25yrs old, Back to Docs, back to ENT, Camera up nose and down back of throat (yes very unpleasant, he sprayed this numbing spray up first which was awful, made my eyes water and throat so numb that I could feel when I was swallowing and it kinda felt like I was choking then after all that when he stuck camera up and then twisted it down it was still really painful, think I must have really small nostrils!). So what did he find..., nothing wrong! Nothing more he could do. He said it is a Fungal thing and that I should use anti fungal mouthwash!

It is without doubt some kind of fungus that collects on any part of your throat that it can, but why????

Dairy products do make it worse for me, I also gargle with an anti fungal mouthwash (tastes awful and numbs your taste buds, which I suppose is good if you are wanting to lose weight because it makes food lose all taste!).

I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS RELATED, BUT....

In March 2010 I was diagnosed with Post viral Fatigue Syndrome (PVFS), sore throat being one of the many symptoms I have, my throat is continuing to get worse, I can taste the fungal lumps all the time and they come up as and when they feel like it.

Present Day... I have been for a chest X-ray which was supposed to be routine just to say one has been done, because with PVFS all results (bloods, scans, Urine etc) come back normal. Anyway my doctor just called me this morning to say that my results are back, they are abnormal, she would not discuss them over the phone so I have an appointment on Tuesday to discuss the results with her!

So here I am writing this... Googling abnormal Chest X-ray with the rest of my symptoms. I am just wondering if it’s got something to do with these fungal lumps? If it does I will post again and keep you all ‘posted’.

P.S. THE MAIN REASON I WROTE THIS IS TO STOP ANYONE WASTING MONEY (and to spare them the physical pain) BY PAYING FOR A TONSILLECTOMY (or 3), IT WILL NOT RESOLVE IT, THE FUNGUS WILL JUST FINE SOMEWHERE ELSE TO GROW!

I really hope this rant helps someone.

Helen x

thanks love how you explained your findings with definitions and all really helpful thanks a bunches