Hi! I'm 17 years old girl and I need to go to tonsillectomy next week. My friend told me that it's nothing dangerous but I'm still scared. He also told me that I will lose taste for a few months. Is it true that all food will be taste funny after tonsillectomy?

Yes, it's true. I had tonsillectomy six months ago. After it all food wasn't quite the same in taste for me. It is a side effect of the surgery and it's usually temporary. I remember that even two months after tonsillectomy I can not eat certain things like chocolate and some juice.

It's not necessarily true that all foods will taste funny. However some taste distortion seems to be a fairly common after effect, but most people report that that goes away after a few weeks. The clamps that the surgical staff use to hold your tongue down so that the surgeon can work, can cause temporary damage to the taste buds particularly along the sides of your tongue.

It has been 3 weeks since my tonsillectomy. Spicy and savory foods taste fine to me, but sweet things taste "off." I tried to eat some turtle cheesecake at lunch today and ended up throwing half of it out because it didn't taste right. It didn't taste bad, it was just bland and tasteless.

Beer also doesn't taste right, but since you're 17 you shouldn't be drinking beer anyway. ;-)

I had my tonsils taken out three months ago, i could not eat anything for two weeks after my surgery because of the metal taste and lack of taste. After about three weeks my taste started to come back, and within four to five weeks my taste had returned. I can honestly say that was one of the most terrible things about the tonsillectomy, probably even worse than the pain. Thank goodness you have to only get if done once.

i am post op 2 wks and a few days and omg everything taste nasty. I keep craving food and then I eat it and its disgusting. I cant wait to have my taste buds back so I can actually enjoy a margarita, wine or any food....!!

I had mine out on the 20th of July and I still can not eat any sweets. Soda is fine and some salty foods taste fine but anything savory or sweet is pretty nasty. Ice cream still tastes good although I am sick of eating ice cream... I am glad to hear that someone's sense of taste has come back!

I had my tonsils about 3 weeks ago the surgery itself was ok but the recovery was pretty rough. I al almost completely healed. i can finally eat whatever i want but everything taste nasty i really hope that my taste buds come back soon. i lost 23 lbs yay!!!!!!!!!! i probably have lost more because i dont want to eat.

I can't eat meat. Which I find odd..and a bit annoying. Jam, honey, lollies/sweets, chocolate, some flavour crisps, yoghurt, grapes/fruit etc also taste gross. I Can eat fries, like fish and chips chips and about two weeks after surgery I could drink tea and coffee again which made me very happy :-) One month in - I hope mine come back!

I had my tonsils removed one month ago and I am having the same problems. Anything that is sweet, sour, tangy, or acidic makes me gag! My problem has progressed to worse bc I just found out I am pregnant so now I have nausea on top of this taste disorder. >:( . What should I do?! Please any advice!!

yes u do get a funny taste its comes when u eat things but it goes after a while. iv,e had my tonsels out im fine but i wake up in pain when im due for my medicine in the nite. when u get put to sleep its weard because ur body starts to aik and u cant remember falling to sleep after u wake up. hope it goes well dont be scared

I'm 17, and had my tonsils removed about two weeks ago. I never really ate much because i was too sore, but ive just started to notice that everything i eat tastes bland. especially chocolate, the flavour is just completelly gone and im freaking out, im glad to read that this is usually temporary. but still this sucks!

It has been almost 4 weeks since my surgery and I am 43 years old. It was the worst surgery ever! The pain is almost gone and I can swallow anything but food tastes horrible. I just wonder, after reading everyone's blogs, when it will get better. There is no joy in eating and I would hate to think it will always be this way.

i had my tonsillectomy 5 days ago,everything tastes funny. 
i'm sick of not eating  normal foods,i crave chips and pop and  theey taste horrible!  what shall i try?

I'm 16, and had my tonsils out 3 days ago. So far my taste has been fine and getting food down has been much easier than I thought it would be. I've been eating jello, flavoured ice (the brand is Luigi's Real Italian Ice), and tomato soup, and drinking water and gatorade, and everything's been fine. No burning or weird taste or anything. Just thought I'd post something positive!

Hi - scroll up to see my previous post :)

Just thought I'd add something positive too - It was 3 months before my taste buds came back, I ended up being about 45 kg from not eating much of anything at all and I felt pretty horrid for those 3 months. It was not fun at all and definitely not a fun surgery to go through as an adult.

HOWEVER. One day in December I woke up and I think I had just started trying food again after noticing to taste what I was eating and I. Felt. Good. Like, better than I had in 3 years and it really has all been worth it. I used to get sick all the time and I was tired a lot of the time before they took my tonsils out and now I get sick maybe once a year and have a LOT more energy.

My view - if you're battling with your tonsils, get them out, be miserable for a month or 4 and then you will be happier than you have been in a long time.