For the past two years or so, the middle right side of my throat has been producing these really foul smelling chunks that occasionally come up into my mouth at random occasions. They give me constant bad breath and I can always feel them in the same spot in my throat. Sometimes it takes a few months before one comes up, but they always come back. I don't think I've ever had a sinus infection and I don't smoke. I don't have insurance so I'm concerned about how much it would cost to remedy this problem. I'm a singer, and although it doesn't affect my voice, I think, the smell and taste in mouth are two things I'd like to be rid of. Is there a cure for this? Many thanks to whomever can help me.

Hi! I had those chunks when I was a child but they haven’t appeared for over 20 years now-luckily. I know how bad they smell. I didn’t even know what they are until recently when I read about them in the newspapers and recognized the symptoms and the smell (hehe).
They are actually tonsil formations and are called tonsilloliths. As far as I can remember, there are some holes or depressions on the tonsil surface that may collect food, mouth debris and bacteria. When all of these things are present and mix in one whole, tonsillolith is what you get. The smell probably comes from bacteria.
There is no treatment but keeping a good oral hygiene and or maybe gargling with warm water and salt before going to bed may help. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to prevent these from occurring.
You may get lucky just like I did and loose the problem without any treatment. It was said that they usually appear in adolescence but I was a child when I had them.

I have been on a journey to discover what the heck these things are too, recently and came up with teh same conclusion as posted previously. The bacteria tends to grow on the tonsils due to dead tissue matter accumulating in the craters of the tonsils, which makes great food for bacteria. The best pracitcal option is to use salt water to gargle frequently and kill the bacteria, but this is not a permanent solution. One thing I have seen someone do is take a q tip and wipe one off. It was gross, but I was intrigued so I tried it to no avail and just ended up having tender tonsils. Mine were really sensitive and I don't reccomend trying to touch them. I heard a permanent solution to the problem is getting your tonsils removed. If you really want a plethora of information just search for tonsillolith on google.com or something.

werd.

Thanks and I do find the same problem with me. It happened to me that I can see a whhite dot on my throat. But not anymore now.

But occassionally , I can feel that something is at my throat which I cannot see it. It does happen that if I cough, a tiny bit of yellow stone will come out. I mean 1mm big maybe. But still, I really want to solve it. Is there any method which I can fully cure this???

Sorry my English is not very good.

I too have had these bad smelling lumps. They are really small, and one of my friend's said he had them from time to time to. Another friend who had never had one actually went to the doctor because he could feel something in his throat for a couple of days. The doctor said that all it was was dried up mucus that hadn't gone down. Today he finally got it out, and it was huge, much bigger than mine. These aren't harmful which is good but they sure smell bad.

Yeah... those things are quite nasty.

Talk about a terrible taste: when your mucus starts flowing after a night of heavy drinking, and you manage to hock up a mouthful of tonsilloliths! Happened to me over the weekend, they smell so bad!

Good luck on getting rid of them, they seem to randomly come out of my throat... sometimes I will go months without having any, and then I'll have a couple of appearances in the span of a week.
[/url]

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** web adresses not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

AH! I used to have those in highschool as well as recurring sore throats. I had my tonsils removed and havent' had one since. :-)

i think the smelly throat chunks are from milk products...i get them mostly if i drink a bunch of milk for a couple days...that's what i've noticed about me....for the person who only got them as a kid, well maybe he drank more milk as a kid???

Actually it shows up in adults more than children

source of info is wikipedia

wikipedia's source claims to be from an article issued by the DoH

i have these too!!!
ive had them scince i was 16 im 27 now, and yeh they do smell bad ....(i wonder how you all found ouit they smell lol, did you smell a chunk of one? hehe)

i always thought that they were just food and stuff, but i didnt realise they were sooo common!

Can u still get your tonsils removed TODAY in the U.S.A?

January will be a year since I've had my wisdom teeth removed and it was after that surgery that I noticed these chunks in my throat that appeared about a month or two later. It would come and go in small doses but lately it has been alot and I notice large holes in my throat. I can actually rub the left side of my throat(or gland) with my index finger and push them out. They smell really bad and I am very self conscious about it.

So is there anything besides gargling that anyone knows that will help it?

omg the first time i found one, i thought it was the tonsil it was so big!!!! LMAO!!! i took that sucker out at and from that day on I get them and take them out with qtips (actually only the right side cuz the left is very sensitive-I KNOW-GROSS). one day i took one(like it's alive--LOL) and looked under a microscope and what i saw you would think came from the sea...LOLOLOL!!! I have a feeling its anerobic bacteria (cannot live with oxygen) cuz they shrivel up when out of the body. I'm sorry if i'm grossing anyone out but these suckers are soo fascinating! (i know i'm wierd--its that scientist in me) actually what i should try to do is grow the bacteria to see what they actually are. let me tell you about anerobic bacteria--they stink! i remember from my micro class long a go, a guy shouting out, "oh, this smells like dead ass on a hot july day." LOLOLOL i will never forget that!!! anyway, i feel better knowing that others have the same problem I do.

I have always had these on and off and too, always thought it was some leftover food that I was coughing up, until now. My right tonsil started hurting 2 days ago and yeaterday I noticed this big chunky white thing on it and it looked like it went inside as well. I was thinking possibly strep because I have 2 children. My strep test was negative, so this morning I thought it looked like I could maybe scrape at it so I did. One of those chunks came off. Part of it stayed there, so tonight I went back to try to get it and Oh My Lord, I have been ale to push on the side of my tonsil and mass amounts of that stuff is coming out. Of course I was thinking tonsillar abcess,(I work in a doctors office). So I googled and founfd you guys. Has any one else had this exstensive of a problem? THis is a first for me. My tonsil is swollen and it looks like there is some sort of crease or incision and that is where if I push with my finger nail on the outside of the tonsil all sorts of different sizes of tomsilloliths come out. Is it an infection since it is actually coming out of my tonsil? Not sure what to do!?

I have the same problem. I've had it since I was 12 and I'm 22 now. I've found them pretty easy to get out with a toothpick. Sometimes they fall out on there own. I asked my dental hygenist and dentist what they were and they had no clue. My mom had them too and she said they didn't go away until she was in her late 30's. I know it's not from Milk like some say. I'm allergic to milk and still get it. I did some research on another website and it makes sense that its food, bacteria and saliva that get traped in the holes. Since it's in a deep, dark, moist place it's perfect for bacteria to grow, there for, it stinks.
Anyway, I heard the best way to get rid of them is to use a tongue scraper every time you brush your teeth and they should slowly go away.

I'm going to try this and let you know.