for a few months now i have noticed that immediately after eating, the gland in the left side of my throat becomes extremely swollen. its returns to normal after about 20 minutes time. it is never painful but is worrying nonetheless. i believe it has occured a few times randomly without having just eaten. when it happens i tend to get small anxiety attacks as a result (probably due more to hypochondria than anything else). i have no health insurance and have not been able to afford to get it checked out.
any thoughts on what might be causing this would be extremely appreciated. thank you.--BDG

Hi, I had the same symptoms a few months ago but it seems to have spontaneously disappeared. I brought it up to my doctor anyways and she mentioned that it could be due to a stone in the salivary glands. She referred me to an ORL in case it starts up again.

I had my tonsils out due to sleep apena.........it is now 6 weeks almost 7 I developed sore blisters on the back of my throat and hard to swallow.It feels like food stuck and will not go down.........anyone out there with the same thing.I also had Byoplasty on my eyes and got Conjuntivitics and was treated with antibotics.I am still sufferring with blisters.I have been using Sovereign Sliver a nautural for the imunne system
hoping it will help along with Lysine.........please if you are out there let me hear from you.It almost has me thinking that it could be Herpes for I now developed a cough this morning anf slight stomach pains along with funny feeling in the vagina........ :cry: Dee

I am sure that this is not herpes due to the fact the the glands would be swollen near the point of infection. Like in your groin area

I had my tonsils out 4 weeks ago and developed blisters. The Dr. had treated this before. It is caused from stress. I am using a mouth gargle 4 times a day. This may last 2 weeks I was told. It is like a fever blister on the inside of the mouth or lip. Hope this helps. Lisa

I believe many people suffer from this symptoms.

Globus sensation is due to inflammation. Inflammation of many different anatomic regions can produce this feeling: the nasopharynx (roof of the throat), soft palate (roof of the mouth, including the uvula, that little punching bag in the back of your mouth), base of tongue, posterior pharyngeal wall (back of the throat), larynx (voice box), hypopharynx (lower throat) and esophagus (swallowing tube).

The next obvious question is: What causes this inflammation? Here are a few of the common causes.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease. This is arguably the most common explanation. Stomach acid and digestive enzymes "wash up," or reflux, into the lower throat and larynx. Unlike the stomach lining, these tissues are not suited for acid and digestive enzymes, and inflammation results.
Rhinosinusitis. Infected mucus from the sinuses and nasal cavities drains down the back of the throat, irritating everything in its path. Globus is usually not the only symptom of sinusitis. Patients with sinusitis also complain of facial pressure or pain, nasal congestion and postnasal drainage. In other words, if you had sinusitis, you WOULD cough something up when you clear your throat. Thus, I doubt that this is your problem.

Chronic throat infection. Commonly infected structures include the tonsils, lingual tonsils and adenoids. (The adenoids are high in the throat, in the nasopharynx. Lingual tonsils are located at the base of the tongue.) Each structure is an example of lymphoid tissue, collections of cells that are supposed to fight infection. As front-line troops, these structures can become chronically inflamed as a result of viral or bacterial infections.
Your best bet for rapid diagnosis and treatment of globus: Your friendly neighborhood ear, nose and throat specialist (ENT). The diagnosis is often obvious from the patient's description of the symptoms. The physical exam, which may include a examination of the nose and throat using a fiberoptic camera called a scope, often merely confirms what the ENT suspects, based upon the symptoms. Treatment will depend upon the diagnosis. If your ENT thinks you have acid reflux, your treatment will involve diet and lifestyle modifications as well as drugs that reduce stomach acid production. If rhinosinusitis is the problem, several medications may be prescribed, such as antibiotics, nasal steroid sprays and antihistamines. If the diagnosis is a chronic throat infection, antibiotics may be needed.
Assuming you are correctly diagnosed and treated, how rapidly should you expect to recover? As a rule of thumb, chronic problems require chronic solutions. If your symptoms have been present for years, don't expect results within the first week of treatment! Patience is key.

I had this problem this morning. Woke up with sinus blokage, no running nose though. It cleared up and I ate all organic, raw whole foods (cucumber, grapefruit, brocoli and tofu). I got a bit of a head ache ten minutes later followed by bad throat pains. I thought I could be allergic to soy at first from the tofu, as I've been trying to rule food intolerances out of my diet (because of bad GI symptoms including bloating, back pain and heart burn). So, after having the sore throat for 20 minutes I took some pepto-bismol incase of GERD (acid reflux), as this was suggested to me as a possibility by my doctor. The pain did not go away as it usually does with pepto, in the case of most heart burn, so I thought maybe allergies again? I had a racing heart (tachycardia) for a few minutes in the shower while still experiencing pain, although I was not anxieous at the time. It all worried me a bit, but I'm going to stop eating soy for the rest of the day and see if it continues.
If anyone can relate closely to this, or has food allergies, I'd be grateful to hear from you. I wanna know if food allergies cause all these symptoms as I've been looking for answers to my bad gasteral issues for a year now. I have bad bloating, HORRIBLE back pains, burning all over, gas, sometimes acid reflux (not often enough to have GERD, I think), frequent urination and now this throat thing.
Thanks,
Adrian.

de

definitely stone in saliva gland had the same thing for years as a kid an finally a dr found it it was such a relief to have it removed never had another problem since

I just started getting the same thing today - but it's my lymph node by my ear/jaw on the left side, not in my throat. I was eating a salad and it immediately started to swell and was very tender, hurt to chew. It eventually went away, then I started eating a snack and the same thing happened. Any ideas on that one?

Definitely get tested for food intolerances, aka delayed food allergy. The soreness is a classic sign of an immune response to the food you've eaten.

IgG tests are widely considered ineffective. This lab is said to have far superior results to the other tests available: ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed
If money is an issue - try an elimination diet.

Gluten, dairy, corn, yeast, soy are the most common major intolerances.

Dear BDG,

I have the exact problem and when I had it checked out by an ENT he explained that it is a blocked salivary gland. I was told to eat sour foods and or candy that causes a lot of salivation and the stones would pass. If they don't it requires minimal surgical procedure.

I hope this was helpful....AB

I started yestarday with the same symptoms and the Doc prescribed sour lemon drops and plenty of water as it is the Salvatory gland.

pls quickly reply

me too!! I freaked out 'cuz I ate sushi, and maybe 10 minutes later my left jaw/ear/cheek swelled sooo much my face got slightly pulled to the left. it eventually went down, but was a scary moment. and it tickled like when you eat something extremely sour. what happened to me??? anybody know????

I also get the throat thing! I have eliminated all allergens from my diet due to IBS symptoms(vomiting and migraines and generally feeling rough). The throat thing occurs if I slip up or have something with an allergen in. I also get boils behind my ears and neck a few days after I've had the throat thing, which occurs either instantly or within about 20 mins of eating. I also have had anaphylaxis from walnuts and, more mildly, Brazil nuts. Dairy burns me from mouth to bum if I can keep it down. Soya creates a tickle wheezy cough. All do the "tonsil trouble" although mine were taken out as a child due to repeated tonsillitis, I think this problem was there all along but I am more aware/sensitive to it now I'm over 40. Since cutting EVERYTHING out(over the last 10 years) I have no IBS, vomiting, migraines that I have suffered for years. I find I'm OK with egg if eaten with something but if I have it on an empty stomach there is an increased chance of a reaction.