I have 18 years. I am a normal girl, with normal life, family, and anything that comes around with my age. One thing I can not stand, and the one thing that makes my life troubled is eating noises. I can not stand such a noise, so I am using my mp3 player and headphones with music on to avoid these noises. My mother refers this kind of my state to puberty, but can it be all? I went to my physician and he routed me to the audiologist. The hearing test was normal, and no further tests were taken. What can I do?

This kind of disorder is called hyperacusis, and it represents one of variations of hyperacusis. It involves strong negative reactions to softs sounds, such as sounds during the eating, breathing, lip smacking or speaking. Treatment is possible, but must be individualized to the person, and supported by knowledgeable well trained medical professionals. Most of them are using habituation, and the improvement is shown in most of the cases.

Dear Tamara,
As Leola says, this is a form of hyperacusis. This form is sometimes known as Soft Sounds Sensitivity Syndrome and sometimes as Misophonia.

If you search these terms on the Internet, you will find all sorts of information about them. There is a woman in Oregon who treats this but also there are various tinnitus websites with useful information -- even though, in my opinion, this is a psychological rather than an auditory condition (I suffer from it myself).