I've been diagnosed by an ENT as having auditory recruitment.; though I'm not sure how this differs from hyperacusis. His only advice was to purchase highly specialized "hearing aids" capable of being programmed to lower the volume at the ranges with which I have difficulty - costly to say the least.
I was referred to him by a certified AIT therapist. She had hoped to help what she thought was hperaacusis. Now she's afraid she'll only put me in pain without results. She couldn't even find an AIT therapist in the city who has treated recruitment.
Is there a medical specialist that I can see? How is recruiment treated?

Hello. I also have recruitment from Sudden Hearing Loss four months ago. I too am confused with the difference between hyperacusis and recruitment. From what I understand, Tinnitus Retraining Therapy can help with recruitment, but I've heard mixed reports. I don't understand how it can work, but they say they can help me. I have an appointment with the Emory University Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Center in Atlanta, Georgia. The doctor(phd not md) there is the one who invented this technique. Have you found anything else out since you post six months ago? Good luck and I hope to hear back from you.

Please let me know how you are doing with the recruitment since your post. Did the TRT help? I think I may also have recruitment and would appreciate any help/feedback.

Thanks,

Kim