Hello everyone,
Well, I've read almost all of the relevant posts, and I see that a lot of you have the same problem I do...still I'll give a little summary: I have always had a loud stomach..when I'm hungry and when I'm not-but I think it's gotten worse. I'm in University right now, and obviously classes are quiet. Also, I have to attend a lot of meetings. All that is on my mind is my stomach in these situations, I can barely concentrate! I can't even stress enough how bad my problem is...it's really ruining my social and mostly school life. I know it sounds ridiculuous but it's true. But the thing is I don't think my stomach is loud all of the time..what's happened is that my stomach has embarassed me only a couple of times (in class) and because of those events I have this anxiety and sort of PHOBIA of quite places and situations. I hate this. I'm going to be applying for grad school soon and I'm not worried about the usual normal stuff (like getting in) but my stomach at the interview....man oh man. Anyways, hope someone out there can help me out with the mental, anxiety part of my problem, because I do truly think that I am actually causing most of my problem myelf..Thank-you for listening...or reading!

Hiya,

Well it seems like you've realised your problem is really more mental than it is physical, which is good cos that means it'll be easier for you to get help.

I think you possibly have an anxiety problem and your brain has concentrated on the stomach noise as an excuse for the anxiety.

The only person that would really be able to help you properly would be a qualified person, I suggest you visit your GP and see if they can suggest anything.

There are some herbal tablets you can get from shops that can help calm you down in these situations but that would only really be a temporary solution.

You could maybe also think about what may be causing this stress/anxiety and try and sort that out and then the anxiety will maybe go away.

Good luck

Thanks for the tips! Today I had a test and I could not sleep all night because of this problem. I feel like c**p right now because of all of the mental stress I've put myself through over the last few days. Anways, I am really going to look into seeing someone about this because it's really getting out of control. Thank-you once again!

I'm glad my advice helped you and I hope you are able to get some help and support. Let us know how you get on!

Thanks guys for your responses. Today was a crappy day so I thought I'd log on to see if anything new has been discovered in this area. I guess not really. Well I think I'm gonna see a school counsellor...the only thing that's stopping me is it sounds like such a stupid problem. If it were common, then this would be easier. But anyways...I hope you guys are all doing better :-)

I have the same exact problem. I recently started at a new school and I can't even concentrate on what I'm learning. I can't tell if the stomach noise is caused by the anxiety or if the anxiety is caused by the stomach noise.... but I'm pretty sure it's just a viscious cycle. I feel like everyone around me is wondering why I look so uneasy and sketchy and why my stomach is going absolutely crazy. I sit there waiting for the heat to come on hoping that it will cause a little white noise so I can relax. Sometimes it's so bad that I have left classes early because I just give up trying to repress this. I try eating before class, like a granola bar or some oatmeal, then it still happens. I have a fear of being in silent situations now. This is definately affecting my ability to move up in life or to excel in any type of career related situation. I have always had anxiety issues, and medication had too many unpleasant side effects. I would like to hear more about how you dealt with this or are still dealing with this but it is comforting to know I'm not alone. Thanks!

I have this anxiety too.

I had a borderline mother, and after going to counseling finally because I realized I couldn't control my anxiety (i had terrible insomnia and it had been going on for months) i was diagnosed with major depressive disorder. Depression often goes hand in hand with anxiety. So, I no longer felt "nuts," especially after going through counseling and understanding what my mom had (which can make you feel a little nutty because borderlines are so manipulative and in so much denial, so you're constantly coming up against their lack of reality).

anyway, i have a wonderful boyfriend who is supportive and i can tell him anything. his stomach rumbles too, but he doesn't care...he has a healthy relationship to his body. As a result I don't feel self-conscious around him, and it happens less often, as opposed to someone I dated who made me very self-conscious and so it was worse.

I do agree that the anxiety will worsen the stomach noises, as I've noticed when I'm relaxed my body is less likely to act up. furthermore, now that i'm on anti-depressants the anxiety has decreased (though unfortunately i needed a supplemental anxiety medication since i still had sleep problems even with ambien). between the good role model of my own boyfriend and my recognition that it's anxiety i think i can eventually kick this phobia in the butt. see, everyone has had it happen. it's just that an anxious person will focus on something embarassing because the mind needs something to focus on, and of course things we can't totally control are good focuses for an anxious mind.

well i'm rambling...but in short...therapy might help, don't feel silly. and you may need anti-depressants from the sound of it, or at least anxiety medication. Trust me, getting help is worth it. Plus, part of depression is actually a sensitive stomach, so it may be partly physical-- but again resulting from the brain's hormone workload as a result of the depression. Anyway, i'd recommend getting this nixed in the bud by getting evaluted. I cried my eyes out the first time I went to couseling and spilled everything because I just wanted to be able to get better. They won't judge you..and if you encounter any judgement, then you've got the wrong person!

p.s. it may be related to social anxiety as well as part of the greater problem (regardless of whether you're clinically depressed or not). i have social anxiety too, but again I now understand it given the type of parenting I had! Self-judgement is unhealthy. Remember you are a good person and deserve to be happy!

Hi:
I was just researching this topic and had a thought, which most likely has allready occured to you. Why not just not eat food before a meeting? the cause is the food digesting in the small intestine, mixing about with oxygen and all those digestive enzymes... etc. So, maybe just go hungry and anxiety free during the meetings and eat later? Maybe certain foods make more noise...>? OK, I just read my posting to my teenager who is saying:" Hell-o, then my stomach will growl!"
So all I can say is try something easy to digest such as a yogurt smoothie or other bland item. Definately avoid combining proteins and sugar, that's a recipe for a musical!
jana

Hi! I have suffered with the same problem for years. Fortunately, I am put in very few quiet situations these days - no more job,(stay at home mom), so my anxiety nowadays is very low and I can have some perspective on the whole problem. I spent years agonizing over what was wrong with me and why I had this weird problem. I can, with 100% certainty, that anxiety causes most of the loud noises. Of course, some people do have louder stomachs than usual, and eating certain foods(or having a hungry belly) can cause gurgling, but its not the same. One example I can give: my husband an I go to church every week together. My stomach had been calm and silent for at least 2 years- no problem. Then he had to work one week and I had to go alone - same church, same row, same time of day, same breakfast, etc., but wouldn't you know it, the loud gurgles came back, then the cold sweats and panic of anxiety. I found that the crucial "cure" for me was antianxiety meds, just in quiet situations. It eliminates that out of control feeling, and ends that viscious cycle- embarrasing noise, anxiety, muscle tension, more noise, etc.. Most times, after a few months, even just having them with me in my pocket was all that i needed. Don't suffer if you don't have to! Hope this helps!

I have the same problem. I've been struggling with it for years and its finally the end of my senior year and it's worse then ever! I missed so much school due to tests and quizzes, because i couldn't be in the room where it's quiet. I'm soo scared i won't be able to graduate. I finally went to go see some one last week, but it seeemed like it went no where. I'm a little embarrassed telling him the exact truth, but hopefully it will help.

I have the same problem. what i find helps:
Entric-Coated Peppiment Capsules (Mintec, Colmperin etc - usually you need to go to the docs as these are prescription
anti-spasmics : e.g. Colfac. - again, prescription
Peppiment/Fennell Tea also helps with the noises sometimes.
Added to this, try cutting various bits and bats out of your diet - cola, alchoal, dairy products and cafine are usually NOT good for you in terms of stomach noises!!
I've also tried taking enzymes but this doesnt seem to be helping a great deal...though i've heard that you need to keep switching about between brands until you find one that works.
hope this helps.
xxx

I am 46 and suffered with this sine I as in my early 20'. Here is the solution that works for me.
Avoid coffee, cola & alcohol.
Fiber, fiber, fiber. I eat granola bars, drink metamucil and take fiber tablets.

hi,

i suffer from a very noisey stomach too and its become increasingly embarrasing in public, whenever a place goes silent i am afraid it will happen. i usually laugh it off and say i must be hungry but i know i'm NOT hungry, it happens all the time.
at the moment i can't even sleep at night because my stomach is making so many noises. i've tried to talk to people about it or find advice but nobody seems to know, so i may end up going to the dr.

i hope you are doing better now

My stomach is ridiculously loud -- and it has been ever since I had gastric bypass surgery a few years ago. My surgeon said -- and subsequent reading and research seems to confirm this -- that it is the sound of the air in the intestines.

When I am in meetings, at conferences, at lunches, et cetera, it can be horribly embarrassing. I've had people tell me "You need to eat something," because they think the growling sound is from hunger (when, in fact, I've just eaten). One person told me she understood, because she can never tame her "inner tapeworm" either. Sometimes people laugh and sometimes, people try very hard to pretend they don't hear anything at all.

When appropriate, I try to make light of the noise to the people sitting around me. "Clearly, I'm just not feeding it enough," I'll say about my stomach. Or I'll jokingly apologize for my talkative stomach. Usually people are cool with it -- far more than I ever am. I think most folks understand that stomach rumbles are pretty much outside of our control.

I have found that not drinking coffee in or before quiet meetings helps; coffee really seems to exacerbate the noise for me. Eating before meetings also is a recipe for rumbling -- not that I am often willing to give that up.

Good luck.

Jen